• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Noise During Sharp Turns

Bacon4x

My M35 has airshift transfer case. Recently, after a 50 mile or so trip I noticed when I make sharp right turns I hear a clanking/grinding gear noise that I never noticed previously. It sounds and feels like its coming from the transfer case. Possibly something to do with the front drive shaft or axles spinning faster when turning and perhaps the airshift is not totally disengaged? Anyone had or heard of a similar problem? So far the front still engages just fine because I have used 6x6 severl times since these symptoms. Is it possible its not totally disengaging and therefore grinding? Any suggestions to diagnose this?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any clunking, vibration or other noise from "down there" prompts me to check the drive shaft flange bolts first! Numerous reports of those guys becoming loose or going AWOL.

LanceRobson

How are the bolts and rubber shock bushing that hang the T-case and the cross brace it bolts to? Did you check the driveshafts for u-joint play? How about the torque rods and all the hardware invoved in hanging all three axles?

I'm kind of wondering if some movement or vibration is being felt and heard near the t-case after being transmitted by a drive shaft.

Hopefully someone will chime in who has a better answer for you.

BTW we use all metal lock nuts on the drive shafts. They only get used once so we keep 2 or 3 sizes on hand. Once they are properly torqued they don't come loose but you can still get the off with hand tools for roadside repairs.

Good Luck

Lance

4x4 Forever-you've got to pay more attention when you are trying to drive that boat onto the trailer.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there can be a problem in a transfer case. I had one that would ingage it self while going down the road. Have not opened case yet just changed it out with another. I think mine is the fork pinning bolt has come unwired and the bolt backed off allowing the fork to slid free. I will know more when I have nothing to do and give a look see.

Bacon4x

All good info, I will need to check that everything is snug as you never know. But it sure does sound like a zizzing gear like noise and the strange thing is it only happens when I make a sharp turn. Don't know why that would be.

dcwilkie

So it only happens when it's disengaged- not when you're in 6x6?
If so, that's DEFINITELY a case of it not fully disengaging when out of 6x6. If it were the drive flange bolts you'd hear it all the time IMO.

DD

Bacon4x

Yea thats right. Only when not in 6x6 and during a sharp turn. As you turn its almost like the sound ramps up faster and then stops as soon as im out of the turn. Im sure its a gear sound an not a tire rubbing or something silly like that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

dcwilkie

You know, if you had an air solenoid bleeding through just a little, that might be enough to keep it from fully disengaging. It would be interesting to disconnect the air from the x-fer case, plug the line so you still have brakes, and drive around to see if you still have the problem.