• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case noise & Leaking

sellbooze

Took my truck out this weekend and had never put it into low , so I decided to try it out. Drove it around the yard in low and it seemed to work great.Went in and out of hi/low with no problem.
So Sunday I drove the truck to work noticed that shifting from 2nd to 3rd made a slight click noise then on my way home it sounded like I was dragging something ,like a chain dragging on the ground. So I pulled over and could see on the transfer case was some fluid . Looks like it is possibly coming out of where the hi/low select lever goes. I drove it home but had run out of light for the day to really inspect any further.
Any ideas ? Something to specifically look for ?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doesn't sound to me as if those two things were related...

1) Check for loose bolts, especially the ones on the jackshaft.
2) While driving, slightly pull the e-brake lever and listen for changes in noise.
3) The leaking around the shift shaft (if confirmed) prob. started after repeatedly shifting H/L.

FYI that seal measures 1"x 1-1/2"x 3/8". Stock replacement would be National or Timken #480120 (or better #470120 for a double lip)
It can be replaced with the TC in place.

G.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Does the sound occur both in hi and low range? And only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear? I would be more inclined to think it was the transmission once you eliminate the possibilities outlined by Gringeltaube. I had a similar sound develop suddenly in my M35A2 while driving. I ended up shelling teeth in the transmission and lost 5th gear.

Boatcarpenter

As G suggested, check your parking brake. The chain dragging description sounds as though you may have a broken "horseshoe" spring on the parking brake shoe. When that breaks, it allows the shoe to rattle and does sound like a chain dragging.
BC

sellbooze

So I looked at the problem with the transfer case this afternoon , and its definitely coming from the TC shift. Looks like it can be accessed from a door above ??
@gringeltaube , thanks for the part numbers for that seal. Where do you recommend for parts ?
Now , for the clicking during shifting , I checked the bolts , and they look tight , think I am going to lube the grease fittings , as one of the joints of on the drive line looks "dry". If that does not cure it I might have to have a second opinion.
I will get to look at the breaks tomorrow and see if thats where the chain dragging sound is coming from.

Heavysteven

Even though those bolts in the shaft between the transmission and transfer look tight you should put a wrench on it.
Put the transmission and transfer in neutral. Rotate the shaft around and use two 3/4" wrenches to tighten those bolts. It's a very common problem for them to come lose.

I have had to replace the spring on my parking brake. It just broke and was laying on the drive way.

sellbooze

Lol , ok Steelandcanvas , I will do that ! thank you for telling me this. You are saving my neighbors from hearing a lot of !@#$%^& words !!
New at this so I appreciate all of y'alls help that you have provided. Its a great little family here on SS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks