• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case popping out of gear

Oldtruckdude

Hi everybody.
My np208 transfer case in my 1985 M1008 CUCV has been slipping out of gear while in 2wd.

I have been searching online for a used one to swap it out. I think I have found one locally. The seller claims he recently bought a truck and the seller threw in this transfer case as a spare. He does not know the history of the TC. The previous owner told him that it was in good shape and worked well but he has never installed it to verify that.

Is there something specific I can look at to see if the gears are in good shape so I don't go through the effort of swapping them out only to find out this one is bad and slips out of gear as well? I really appreciate any info on this.

Thank you in advance!
OTD

richingalveston

make sure your motor mounts and all are good before going through the trouble of swapping a t-case. Sometimes to much motor flex from worn out mounts will mess with your t-case linkage.

I would rebuild what you have and not throw money into the un-known

rich

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rebuild one or the other. My ambulance was doing the same, dropping out of 2wd on deceleration. It had been run dry and frankly, the case was destroyed. Spares are always good.

Oldtruckdude

The guy is only asking $150 for the TC. What does a rebuild cost? I just figured the replacement (if in good shape) would be cheaper than a rebuild???

Is there any way to look at the gears and tell what shape the TC is in?

Oldtruckdude

Getting back to this again. I still have a few questions I am hoping to get help on.
1. Is there any way to look at a transfer case that is not in the vehicle and see what condition the gears are in without major disassembly?
2. What does a TC rebuild cost roughly?

Thanks!
OTD

rustystud

Getting back to this again. I still have a few questions I am hoping to get help on.
1. Is there any way to look at a transfer case that is not in the vehicle and see what condition the gears are in without major disassembly?
2. What does a TC rebuild cost roughly?

Thanks!
OTD
The 208 is a chain drive unit. What usually goes out is the chain and support bearings. To do a basic check without tearing it down just take hold of the output yoke and then try and turn the front yoke back and forth. You should only have a little play ( few thousandths ) . If you have more then 1/8" movement then the chain is stretching and it's time to replace it.
On average these units come out of the CUCV with over 1/2" play ! I have 2 setting outside right now that need rebuilding.
The cost of rebuilding depends on what needs replacing. It can run up into the $500.00 range real fast.
For example: chain-$100.00 , rebuild kit-$100.00 , Input shaft- $100.00 , Small parts kit (small bearings)- $50.00, Drive sprocket- $100.00 , Planetary gear- $160.00 . These are just a few of the items that might need replacing though the rebuild kit is a must along with the small parts kit so $150.00 minimum. Then there are all the bushings and thrustwashers and Torrington bearings and it just adds up.

Last edited: