• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case Prob.

Zack

I have been searching but have had no luck finding info... I believe my transfer case is bad on my deuce. I went to pick it up this last weekend, while working on the brakes we noticed that when the front drive shaft is turned the case would make a clank noise. So we removed the front shaft and i hit the road. When the truck was under power there is no noise but when i let off the throttle i would get noise, even with the clutch in and the truck in neutral still noise untill it would stop rolling. Sandcobra and i believe it is a bad transfer case. So what i am asking is does anyone have experience with rebuilding or repairing them.. Or possibly have an extra transfer case for sale.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if it related but I had to change mine out. It would ingage it's self. I have not pull it apart to check for shure but I'm thinking the retainer bolt came lose on the shifting fork for front engagement.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least your TC is not jumping out of gear, which normally is a first sign of serious wear/high mileage.
What kind of noise? If gear whine it could be just bearings gone bad.

I would go step by step, checking everything else around the TC first before deciding to repair/replace the whole unit.

Have you checked input- and rear output shafts for end play, axial/radial? Have you run the TC in NEUTRAL with the truck standing still, to evaluate noise?

G.