• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case problems?

greenbean

I just got my 1st deuce its a 53 GMC with a gasser i shortened it and went out for a ride in the snow. I noticed my frontend only pulls in 1st and reverse. Is this something to do with it having the older transfer case or is something just wrong with my sprag I read that they had weak sprags in the early t-case. Or do i need to get the newer case so my 4wd works in all gears or does anyone know if i can just weld something up in my case to make it work.
Any advice would be helpful

rainbow

transfer case

It's a matter of linkage adjustment from your transmission shift lever to the front axel engagement on your transfer. Do not mess with the linkage from your shift lever to the trany valve body or carburetor linkage

greenbean

ok i pulled the tunnel cover and there is a shift rail coming out of the top of the tranny and when in 1st it pushes the rail all the way in the tranny and in reverse it pulls it all the way out but in 2nd and up the rail stays in the middle and doesnt move the rod to engage the front end at the transfer case so i guess this is how its designed but my other question is can i unhook it from the tranny shift rail and just weld a shifter to it and have it as my 2wd/4wd lever and then my other lever would just be hi and lo or does the rod that engages the front end have to be pulled to go forward and pushed to go in reverse so that nothing binds if that were the case i could make the lever 4wd reverse than 2wd and then 4wd forward and would have to shift it before backing but i would rather not have to do it that way but i will if needed. i would think in is in but im not sure?

rainbow

transfer

In your first message you said you were working on a 53 gmc gasser.Your last message shows a m35 and you said you removed the trany tunnel which a glmc does not have. I do not know what you are working on.

Jake0147

One quick thought before you go too far with it. I'm not an expert here but I've seen this question come up many times.

If you are in first and it works, then shift to reverse and it works, then both "directions" of the sprag are working and the linkage is at least close... If you are in reverse and "cheat" to second gear (skipping first gear, very tempting especially in low range) the sprag will not reset to the forward direction (since that happens in first gear) and the front axle will not pull you forward. It will however wind the driveline up pretty badly on a straight line dry road condition.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's prolly a linkage adjustment, since by your descripton all the "internals" seem to be quite capable of functioning.

greenbean

I can go from first to second and the shift rail still just goes to the middle im thinking theres no fork to slide the shaft in second and up so its going to a nuetrul position. as to the truck i said it was a 53 gmc cuz thats what the title says. it says on the tag it is an model M49C wich i believe was a tanker truck but none of that was on it when i got it i just read some were thats what the number meant and the other #s say its a M44 seires truck. and i think the linkage is fine because everything works like it should in first and reverse . i was told if i get the newer case with airshift it will work in all gears but i wish not to do that.

greenbean

the other thing i was wondering is the sprag directional? if it is i will need to weld a lever on with 3 positions going 4wd rev 2wd then 4wd forward because like the shaft on the top plate of the tranny rev pushes the linkage on the case all the way one wich the sprag would only spin that way backing up then the linkage would put the case in nuetral (or just not engage the front end) and then the linkage pulls the lever all the way the other way for first wich would then be all the forward gears because the sprag can only go taht way moving forward it wouldnt be hooked to the tranny any more it would just be on a manual lever. but if the sprag could go either way i would just have to push it all the way one way for 4wd and then up a notch for nuetral i just didnt want to bind the sprag if thats possibble. thank u guys 4 helping sorry im new to the deuce trucks and not sure of all the differences yet.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....And I don't think your linkage is that fine....!

Lots of info if you searched..... i.e. take a look here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/22441-another-sprag-newbie-question-3.html
In post #22 I tried to explain what your TC/tranny/spring loaded shift linkage would do IF all parts were clean, lubed and well adjusted.

Once again: the sprag TC is designed to give you all-wheel traction in ANY gear!
And with a little TLC it does that automatically....! (No additional shift levers needed here....:smile:)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks