• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case pto output

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Gentlemen,
I am having a hard time working out the driveline between my transfer case PTO and a hydraulic pump. My problem is the stock flange will put the cross of a ujoint 3-1/2" to 4" from the air tank. Clearing the tank will result in a very high angle on the joint (one it can't handle due to interference with the necessary flange yoke).

So does anyone know a source that carries...
a sprocket that fits the output?
(roughly 1-1/2" tapered, keyed shaft)

or

a yoke (like what is used in agricultural applications) that will replace the flange completely
(roughly 1-1/2" tapered, keyed shaft)

jatonka

Hi Joel, Industrial supply houses have the sprockets and roller chain you are looking for and Graingers and McMaster-Carr, both big industrial supply catalogs all over the USA. You also have an option to lower the air tanks as was the setup on the water and fuel tanker trucks. The tanks were in the same location, just lowered on the bracket to make room for the long drive sheaft to the rear pump. The sprocket/chain drive combo is probably easier though. John T

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Hi Joel, Industrial supply houses have the sprockets and roller chain you are looking for and Graingers and McMaster-Carr, both big industrial supply catalogs all over the USA. You also have an option to lower the air tanks as was the setup on the water and fuel tanker trucks. The tanks were in the same location, just lowered on the bracket to make room for the long drive sheaft to the rear pump. The sprocket/chain drive combo is probably easier though. John T
I have looked in both places, but the only sprockets I have found with a tapered bore seem to be designed for use with a bushing that clamps on to a a non tapered shaft.

...maybe like this ...???
I wish I could pull the tank into the frame like that, but I will need the gap between tank and frame to pass mounting bolts for the crane through.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel , my set-up is like G's.
My truck was originally an M49 tanker, so the PTO/drive shaft had to clear the tanks for the route to the rear mounted pump.
Remember to allow for the up and down movement of the main drive shaft when locating the hydraulic pump.....

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If the tanks are seperated (one close to each frame rail) at the stock height would the driveshaft hit the one relocaed above it?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should not interfere, that is where my tank/pump is for the dump, and it dosen't hit, and is larger. But check for yourself....

Also, on the PTO of my crane truck, the tank is moved to the spare tire location, but the M108 stores the spare on the crane.

Dennis

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
maybe the shopvans (my truck started its life as a M185A3) have an oddball air tank arrangement? My tanks are suspended under straight strips of channel that run between the frame rails, not above strips of channel that dip down like in Gerhard's pic and in this one I found of Stretch's truck. I am all but certain that my gasser (m45) had the same mount as my current truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pieces of angle iron going across the frame rails on my truck are there to support the hydraulic tank, and do not mount to the airtanks.

Not the best pics, but your tanks are mounted different than mine. There is a small piece of channel under my tanks, that goes from under the tanks, up to the frame rail on the oppisite side. One is cut short to fit the pump/tank in. Tanks are clamped to the channel with straps.

Yours look like they are mounted from above. Maybe you can junkyard a set of straps/mounts from another truck and mount yours the same as mine, if that would help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some cool sets of straps for mounting tanks. I have a few tanks too. I been busy, forgot those #s I promised. PM sent.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, while you are at it, see how the crane is to be mounted, you may need to consider that also. The frame may have to be free and clear for the crane mount, if clamped like mine...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics? I'll see, the bed is on now so it's hard to see all the little details....
There are four clamp assemblies, each having two 7/8 inch rods going down on each side of the frame rail to a block below the frame.
I'll look for old images.....

Edit: BTW, where did you find that PTO, don't remember mine having a tapered shaft...

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I "think" I have found a way to mount a sprocket, but I know very little about roller chain. I can choose between ANSI 35, 40, 50, or 60. Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks