• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case PTO question

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking a my m49 parts truck today (mainly the t-case PTO). I'm planning on using the PTO on my M35 to power hyd for my dump conversion. I noticed that the linkage has a interlock so the PTO will only go into gear with the t-case in nuteral. This could be a problem with my dump because I may want to spread gravel ( raise bed while moving). My question is, Could you remove the interlock and use the PTO with the t-case in gear without tearing something up? I'm thinking the main reason the military added the interlock is to keep soldiers from driving down the road and forgeting to take the PTO out of gear.

grounded

Banned
hmm be interesting to know. AS that is always a nice feature on our dump trucks. AND i wanta do same thing.

Glad you asked it. Sorry i dont got a answer

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to place the gearbox in a gear for the transfer PTO to run, no other option. I run mine in 3rd at 1,500 rpm when operating the crane. You would have to raise the bed, then place the transfer in "HI" or "LO" to drive it ...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics? My M108 doesn't have that!

I'll get some pics and post them. What it has is a rod that goes from the lever going through the floorboard foward. Where the t-case shift lever is attached to the shift rod it has an extra long bolt that hangs out on one side. A notched plate slides over the long pin when the PTO is put into gear. The notched plate will only allow the PTO to go in when the t-case lever is in the middle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to place the gearbox in a gear for the transfer PTO to run, no other option. I run mine in 3rd at 1,500 rpm when operating the crane. You would have to raise the bed, then place the transfer in "HI" or "LO" to drive it ...
But can I drive and dump at the same time. I'm thinking yes but I just want to make sure it won't screw something up in the t-case.

I'm also wondering where I'm going to mount my hyd tank. It has to be higher than the pump and if you drive the pump directly off the shaft It's going to be pretty high. I may use a chain and sprocket and mount the pump under the PTO, I haven't decided yet.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have that either Kenny. Might be nice to have, couple of times I've take off and hear the crane running because I forgot to disengage it. Is there any reason to use the crane, and drive at the same time?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No harm will come from driving the truck with the PTO engaged for a short while. All the PTO does is engage the end of the mainshaft of the transfer case with a sliding dog clutch.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No harm will come from driving the truck with the PTO engaged for a short while...
..... all day long if you want! It would eventually hurt the pump, NOT the PTO or TC!

All the PTO does is engage the end of the mainshaft of the transfer case with a sliding dog clutch.
Actually it connects to the rear of the TC input shaft. I think that's what you meant.

G.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I was looking a my m49 parts truck today (mainly the t-case PTO). I'm planning on using the PTO on my M35 to power hyd for my dump conversion. I noticed that the linkage has a interlock so the PTO will only go into gear with the t-case in nuteral.
My tcase pto does not have an interlock.

Bjorn raises a good point on rpm's . What happens to the dump mechanism when the pump stops(you push in the clutch)? Does it have some type of load holding valve that will keep it up?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn raises a good point on rpm's . What happens to the dump mechanism when the pump stops(you push in the clutch)? Does it have some type of load holding valve that will keep it up?
Every dump truck I've ever seen the bed is controled by a valve. You engage the PTO to run the pump before you start dumping and use the valve to control up and down. If you push the clutch (even on trans PTO pumps) the bed will stop going up but it won't fall. All civilain dump trucks are capable of spreading gravel on a driveway (raising or lowering bed on the go).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................ If you push the clutch (even on trans PTO pumps) the bed will stop going up but it won't fall....
......yes, if nothing else you have at least a check valve between pump and cylinder. To lower the bed you open a small valve to let fluid return to the reservoir.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks