• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case PTO to run 20 GPM hydraulic pump

m52a2

I installed a transfer case PTO today. why am i sore ? Not too hard just a little tricky. There are 2 types of 5 ton PTO's I am aware of. The continous run PTO has a splined sleeve that couples it to the upper rear shaft of the transfer case above the parking brake drum. The 2nd type can be disengaged and uses a 4 tooth 2-piece dog, one half of which is bolted to the transfer case shaft and the other half slides within the PTO body to engage/disengage. Both PTO's have their own oil pump and pick up oil through a tube exterior to the sransfer case that runs from the PTO down behind the parking break drum to a threaded hole near the bottom of the transfer case. The hole is plugged on trucks without the PTO. I will use the PTO to power a 20 gpm hydraulic pump which will run the 45,000 lb braden winch from an m911. The winch I have yet to mount behind the cab of my m52a2. I will keep you guys updated on this project but be patient.

Attachments

scooter01922

Looks like you got some good help there :) Thats how i figured out how to work on stuff, helping dad....whether i really wanted to or not. Keep up the good work and get those recruits interested in green iron early.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m52a2 said:
..... There are 2 types of 5 ton PTO's I am aware of. The continous run PTO has a splined sleeve that couples it to the upper rear shaft of the transfer case above the parking brake drum. The 2nd type can be disengaged and uses a 4 tooth 2-piece dog, one half of which is bolted to the transfer case shaft and the other half slides within the PTO body to engage/disengage.....
Nice pic: Kindergarden for future MV-hobbyists...?:)

Looks like that PTO would be of the first type you referred to as continuos run?
Than you would need some kind of external clutch to avoid running the pump all the time... :?

G.

m52a2

RE: Re: Transfer case PTO to run 20 GPM hydraulic pump

Yes the this PTO is from a wrecker and is continuous run. I will not use an external clutch, but will plum the hydraulics for a live circuit that maintains pressure at all times. This will require a large enough fluid resivoir to disapate the heat of a live circuit.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
…. Sorry, still confused: why would someone have a hydraulic pump and circuit running all the time (except with the tranny in N), causing drag and heat, just to operate a winch…????
Does the wrecker have its (crane)pump running full time, too? What am I missing? :?

G.

Jake0147

I was going to say the same thing. I first thought of a closed center system being maintained with a fixed displacement pump. That'd be some pretty hot oil. I suspect the word "pressure" was used more generically, and that it'll be an open center type of arrangement, such as many modern dump trucks, refuse trucks, and many others use, where flow is maiintained at all times, but pressure is not maintained except for a minimal residual while the valve is in the center position. They do take a toll on highway mileage even so, yet they still keep making them that way... I'm not quite sure why.

The m816 wrecker (1985) I bought for parts with the same plan as M52a2 to mount the 45,000 winch to the rear of my 5 ton . any way the wrecker has a pto on the tranfer case that runs all the time the drive line runs to a nother gear box that has a drive line that runs to the crain pump with a in or out shift rail and it has a drive line that runs to the rear winch that has in and out and neutral . in short the pto runs all the time and the pump dose not have to .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it just seems to me that by having the pto and pump running full time thats just more parts to wear out or break, ect. also if a hose or fitting springs a leak, there is hyd.oil EVERYWHERE

dlc

Reading your posts and good info here. I have a 5ton that my Fire dept. is using for a tanker. We have a 500GPM Waterous pump we would like to power with a PTO. The truck has a 250 cummins and a 5 speed. Does anyone know what I should be looking for ina PTO?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would get a DOUBLE ended pto for the trans from a dump, the rear facing drive turns only one direction and has its own in/out control which you could set up as manual with a lever or air with a air cylinder( a standard setup in the civi world), just run a drive shaft to the pump, then with gravity feed, the pump would prim on its own.

jatonka

I wonder if the Waterous pump would need too much Horse Power to operate at rated GPM? The Transfer PTO is rated for much more HP than the transmission mounted PTO. I am experienced with fire trucks and the pump pulls a lot of power when called upon. JT