• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Q's

firecontrol86

I was doing some stuff with the m1009, and noticed a little puddle of what I'm guessing is ATF on the trans skid plate. Couple questions:

1. I followed the wetness up to what(excuse the noobness) I think is the output shaft for the front axle. A seal maybe? I can't figure out where it's leaking from as there are no visible cracks. This is my first diesel/4x4 so I'm really new to transfer cases and what to look for so if anyone can help me narrow down what to check I'd appreciate it.

2. I remove the flexplate cover am I going to lose any trans fluid?

I took a picture of where the leak seems to be originating. See below:

(for s#!*$ and giggles I took a pic of my recently painted hubs too)

Attachments

bronconut

that is a front out put seal, to change it, drain t-case , remove front drive shaft from t-case and front axle, then remove large nut from t-case yolk, remove yolk remove seal then install new seal. assemble in reverse. dont forget to refill t-case. i just did mine, seems who ever put the last one in installed it backwards. the seal lip should be facing out and the spring in. i put grease all around the inside by the spring, this seems to hold the spring in place when you are tapping seal in.

firecontrol86

So you think it's probably that seal then? I'm just curious since I drive this to work everyday I don't want to take it off the road any more than I have to. Sounds simple enough though. Do you happen to know the part # for the seal? I found a seal on saturn surplus that just says "Transfer seal". I wonder if it's the same seal for both front and rear?

Last edited:

Elwenil

Keep in mind that your transfer case takes ATF, NOT gear oil. Do not put anything else in it but ATF. I wouldn't worry about the dampness around the shift lever. It is possible to leak there, but I'd say most likely that is just fluid getting slung off the dust shield on the output yoke. Make sure you torque the yoke nut back to spec.

Barrman

Also keep in mind that if you got this drip from locking in the front hubs and driving around. It is probably just crud on the seal and shaft. Unlock the hubs and drive it like normal for work. A drip or two a day isn't going to run out a quart any time soon. For times when you have it in 4x4. The more you drive it that way, the more it will clean itself out.

Yes, the best thing to do is pull it apart and put in a new seal along with cleaning the seal surface of the yoke. YOur pictures show something that really isn't a reason to stop everything and take care of it now though.

firecontrol86

Well, I guess I'm gonna need to pick up some ATF, drain the t-case and hope replacing that seal does it. Anybody want to chime in on my 2nd question? It might sound dumb, but I don't want to have to buy tranny fluid today too. I just want to check out my flexplate and make sure there are no cracks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your safe to remove the inspection cover. Nothing will drain or fall out.

Elwenil

Better to ask than go into the unknown without need. Like they say, the only dumb question is the one not asked. But yes, the panel over the flexplate and converter is mainly just a dust shield and is not sealed. The only fluid that will be found there is a little wetness from the front pump seal or oil leaked in from the engine.

rnd-motorsports

When you clean the seal serface on the the yolk do not get crazy wipe with a rag and maybe some emery cloth just to buff. And if you do not know,you want dextron 2 or 3 or simular do not use type F . also there are two plugs on the rear of the transfer case the bottom one is the drain and the top one is the fill JUST INCASE YOU DIDNT KNOW! not a hard job you should do fine. we are all her if you need to ask anything!

firecontrol86

I appriciate it, I was actually going to look through the TM's today and see where the drain and fill were. Now I don't have to! I don't know if it's because I'm Navy or what but it seems really hard for me to navigate those pubs.

deepseeman

Keep in mind that your transfer case takes ATF, NOT gear oil. Do not put anything else in it but ATF. I wouldn't worry about the dampness around the shift lever. It is possible to leak there, but I'd say most likely that is just fluid getting slung off the dust shield on the output yoke. Make sure you torque the yoke nut back to spec.
I just drained my transfer case this weekend and it had gear oil in it (84 cucv). I came on here to verify if it was gear oil or 30w. now im finding out it is supposed to be atf. will putting in atf after having gear oil in it screw it up?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just drained my transfer case this weekend and it had gear oil in it (84 cucv). I came on here to verify if it was gear oil or 30w. now im finding out it is supposed to be atf. will putting in atf after having gear oil in it screw it up?

Do not put gear lube in a NP208.

Some of the pickup/maintenace body trucks have a cast iron NP205 transfercase.
My 1972 205 equipped truck required gear lube per GM manual.
My 1980 205 equipped truck required 30w motor oil per GM manual.
My 1988 205 equipped truck requires ATF per GM manual.
They all work in a NP205.