• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Question

3rdmdqm

I have a 68 Kaiser M35A2. Tried getting moving today out of the mud/snow. It appears that the front axle is not engaging. Rear wheels just spin in the mud and it doesn't seem like front wheels are engaged at all. Isn't this supposed to be all wheel drive all the time? There is a drive shaft going to the front axle however I'll be darned of I can find a switch or lever to get them to engage/disengage. :confused:

jwaller

so if there isn't a switch on the bottom of the dash then that means you have a sprag transfer case.

do some searching for adjusting the linkage. does the fwd work in Rev?

if not plan on replacing the transfer case if you can't fix it. I'd do the airshift conversion.

Westex

Short, quick answer: try jacking up one of the front tires, and PLEASE, stand back from it; this may let it unwind. Sounds like you have a sprag transfer case and a possible wind up situation (hopefully). Do searches on this site about this subject.

3rdmdqm

Thanks for the response. I definitely have a sprag system. Have checked a number of threads which had TM listed and potential adjustments that can be made. I'm thinking mine is shot because I don't have front wheel drive in forward or reverse. Will try checking the suggested adjustments. Pretty embarassing getting stuck in 4-6 inches of snow on level ground. :roll:

jwaller

you might get lucky and wash the xcase out with a mix of diesel and get the sprag to start working. I've heard of ppl with very bad gear oil not letting the sprag do it's thing.

3rdmdqm

Yes, tried it in low and high range. Doesn't work either way. Had buddy watching from outside. Truck hopped a couple of times like it was trying to engage but nothing, almost like it was an adjuetment and wasn't quite catching.

jasonjc

Just as a note to EVERY one I have a truck with an air case but it never had air. The army must have changed the sprag case but then never did the work to put the air to it. So if there is no air switch , that does not always mean it's a sprag case.

LanceRobson

From the description of the wheel hopping I'd suspect your sprag was engaging, at least partially. My experience has been that the sprag will only engage when the rear wheels are slipping. It will disengage as soon as the rears grip and you let off the power.

To test the sprag:

Jack either front wheel up. Be careful as the wheel starts to rise. If there is any torque built up (called "sprag wind-up") the wheel can spin violently as the tire breaks contact with the ground. It can be especially spectacular if you leave a lug wrench and handle hanging on a lug nut. :oops:

With the transmission in reverse the wheel should turn backwards but only turn a very short way forward before stopping. With the transmission in first gear the wheel should turn forwards but only rotate a short way rearward.

If this were an M809 series 5-ton truck (M813, M818 etc) the procedure would be the same except you would need the air system pressurized.

Let us know.....

Lance

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, you HAVE to start out in 1st or rev. for the sprag to start working.

Billy Bobbed

I was told by a person that use to work on the deuces.If your front tires have flat spots, go backwards in a circle,it might fix it.On a sprag tranfer case.It might be worth a shot.