• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Replacement Options

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kind wondering that whinning sounds is normal , it's very loud and annoying :)
no whining is not normal, I would just source another 218, they are plentiful and the 242 is only marginally stronger and as 86humv pointed out you will have to change the drive shafts, one of the reasons they went to the 242 was the same basic case was used in civilian vehicles so NP dropped the 218, there was certainly no need to go to a slip yoke with fixed diffs.

I am curious how you know it is the transfer case and not one of the differentials, the most common cause of abnormal "whining"

You can also take an oil sample and have it tested, if there is a big problem with the case an analysis should show it.

Edit, the gear hubs also have straight cut gears and for them to be noisy in normal, the diffs are frame mounted so they will transmit any noise very easily throughout the vehicle.

Last edited:

Banaba1971

no whining is not normal, I would just source another 218, they are plentiful and the 242 is only marginally stronger and as 86humv pointed out you will have to change the drive shafts, one of the reasons they went to the 242 was the same basic case was used in civilian vehicles so NP dropped the 218, there was certainly no need to go to a slip yoke with fixed diffs.

I am curious how you know it is the transfer case and not one of the differentials, the most common cause of abnormal "whining"

You can also take an oil sample and have it tested, if there is a big problem with the case an analysis should show it.

Edit, the gear hubs also have straight cut gears and for them to be noisy in normal, the diffs are frame mounted so they will transmit any noise very easily throughout the vehicle.
I never even think it's a differential , I may look into it , most of Humvee owners says 218 was loud , and I'm very confused too , so better off look for 218 and instead 242 I change my drive shaft already since I do ls conversion all drive shaft was all fabricated now if I will put the 242 ? Do I have to change the drive shaft as well ? Is 218 and 242 have different length ?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never even think it's a differential , I may look into it , most of Humvee owners says 218 was loud , and I'm very confused too , so better off look for 218 and instead 242 I change my drive shaft already since I do ls conversion all drive shaft was all fabricated now if I will put the 242 ? Do I have to change the drive shaft as well ? Is 218 and 242 have different length ?
They have different types of couplings and lengths, the 218 and the 242 are virtually identical in construction so I would think one would not be any noisier than the other, I have never heard anyone say the 218 is noisy, most complain about the gear hubs but a diff. makes the kind of whine that would be distractive.

Banaba1971

They have different types of couplings and lengths, the 218 and the 242 are virtually identical in construction so I would think one would not be any noisier than the other, I have never heard anyone say the 218 is noisy, most complain about the gear hubs but a diff. makes the kind of whine that would be distractive.
Thanks I will start looking the differential instead , glad you give me some idea because I'm ready to change my t case ! :)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I will start looking the differential instead , glad you give me some idea because I'm ready to change my t case ! :)
Generally the noise of a defective diff will change drastically going from loaded to unloaded, but the gear hubs can also be like that.