• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Seal Replacement

Mark_Ellis

Well, almost one year after installing 1967 NOS (piece of crap) seals that leaked some on the first drive and pretty much just leaked as bad as the original ones after that.... I just installed new commercial seals. I got the pn from Charles Talbert and can only say that it is the first time since I have owned this truck that the transfer case is actually dry. (yes, I put oil in it!) It was hard to believe and can tell you that the small upper seals for the hi/low/4x4 shafts are an extreme pain to remove. I put the redi sleeves on the drive shaft companion flanges and had nos, Ebrake and Input flanges so it should be drip free for some time. (I hope)

For the first time in a long time I can actually park it on the driveway.

Mark Ellis

Mark_Ellis

Robb,
The seals are Federal Mogul and I think they are a double lip seal. The small one is 470954 you will need two of those and the large one is 410308 you will need four of those. I have already thrown away the packaging for the redi sleeves. I had gotten that number from Charles Talbert who I think frequents either here or the M37 forum. The address to his web site is http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/ He has always been good answering questions for me. I owe him a bunch for all the advice. lol. The companion flange set I had gotten from AB Linn some time ago. Any questions let me know.
I have heard many tell about getting the small ones out... but I will just say it is rough. I had drilled small holes in the face of the small seals and put screws in them and used the slide hammer to pull on them. Mostly this just pulled the inner part out some and allowed you to get hold of that with needle nose vice grips. They came out little at a time and took most like two hours each to get out. I am sure someone will say some easy way to get them out.... but it wasn't easy for me. I guess some may come out easier than mine but as I reinstalled them I was sure glad I wouldn't have to be messing with them again any time soon.
For removal of the larger ones, I removed the companion flange..... and used a small three jaw puller, flipped the jaws outward and pushing on the shaft to remove. I had to take one of the jaws off to get it into the seal. The other two I was able to get inside the seal then reinstall the one and just pull them out... Worked real well on them.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Mark

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,

I'm in the process of replacing the seal behind the yoke to the front axelon the transfer case. I'm having troble with the size of the nut that holds the yoke on. I tried a 1.25" socket that was too small. I tried a 1.5" and it won't fit down on the nut. It may be that the socket is hitting the tapered walls of the yoke before it can engage the nut? I would grind the wall down on the socket, but I want to know if it's the right size before I grind away at a $25.00 socket!

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Bill W

Bill Nutting??..Hmmm..
is this the same Bill Nutting who orginized and contributed to "Joes last wish" M-37 project then later moved out to the country and haven't been heard from since Bill Nutting :roll:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tis I

Bill Nutting??..Hmmm..
is this the same Bill Nutting who orginized and contributed to "Joes last wish" M-37 project then later moved out to the country and haven't been heard from since Bill Nutting :roll:

Same guy! This site feels like home. I was using the PWA site a while ago, but I had a problem with Gordon, so I left there.

Are there many guys here from Bigelectric? It looks like you moved into a bigger Mthrax habit.:grin: When I moved I put up a pole barn. Now I have room to work and play on my truck. I've been busy this year with it. We took it to Greenfield Village for the Motor Muster. It's a huge vintage car/truck show. They set up a large area for the military vehicles and allow us to camp out on site. We took a first place with the M37 and M101. I'm taking it out for the last weekend show this Friday (if I get the seal replaced on the transfer case).

So how have you been? I have lost touch with all of you guys but I hope we can all re-connect through Steel Soldiers. This looks like a great site and based on what I've seen so far, the folks running it are top shelf. I still have pictures of your M37 stored in my computer. I consult them from time to time when I need to how some element of the truck is suposed to look. I have yet to find a better example of an M37 than yours!

Some of the guys I'll be watching for from our "Joe's project":
You, Pete Ruffling, Bill Lammers, Sonny Heath. Did you ever hear what happened to Eric Hodecker?

Stay in touch!

Bill Nutting

Bill W

Yes this is a great site with a huge knowledge base
Eric went through a divorce $$$$ and it took its toll on him as he wasn't married that long
Most of the guys are on the "G-741 Registry" site g741.org :: Index I don't go there much as I can't stand a certain member there, you need to go over and check in as MM just did a thread looking for old members from Big E
I'm currently BURIED in another M-35 right now M-35 Kaiser pictures from military photos on webshots ( I never learn!) and hope to get it finished before it finishes me!!
Congrats on the first place

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seal success

Mark,

I'm in the process of replacing the seal behind the yoke to the front axelon the transfer case. I'm having troble with the size of the nut that holds the yoke on. I tried a 1.25" socket that was too small. I tried a 1.5" and it won't fit down on the nut. It may be that the socket is hitting the tapered walls of the yoke before it can engage the nut? I would grind the wall down on the socket, but I want to know if it's the right size before I grind away at a $25.00 socket!

Thanks
Bill
Update: I replaced the seal. Took the truck to a military vehicle show about 30 miles away. When I got home the transfer case was full... No more "rain storm" of oil!!

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are there many guys here from Bigelectric?
I found this site while going through M-thrax withdrawal after Big Electric disappeared.

I was also in contact with Monkey Man (former Big E member) via e-mail and ICQ. He advised me that the old Big E had been revived under a new name, so I checked it out and have been a member of the G741 forum ever since.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes this is a great site with a huge knowledge base
Eric went through a divorce $$$$ and it took its toll on him as he wasn't married that long.
Ive wondered what happened to Eric for a long time. No one seemed to know. Thanks for clarifying that situation. :)

Most of the guys are on the "G-741 Registry" site g741.org :: Index I don't go there much as I can't stand a certain member there,...
If you're referring to whom I think you are, I can't say as I blame you. He does come off as thinking rather highly of himself and has trouble accepting other people's ideas/suggestions. Fortunately, he doesn't post much any more, although he probably visits the site regularly.

m376x6

Hi Bill W. Just like you and for the same reason, I don't go on G741 anymore. I heard from Tony Eagling (aka Monkey Man) a few weeks ago asking how I was doing and if I would consider coming back. That individual you're refering to has presented me with so many frustrations I just won't deal with it anymore. I enjoy reading here about the big trucks I used to be into and the every once in a while M37 post.

Regards,
M376X6

Bill W

Hey Bryan, Lifer
MM contacted me also and stated that person has been warned and put on a very short leash, seems like we're not the only ones tired of his mouth so I recently have gone over and made a few posts to test the waters :wink:

pjvargas

A 12-point socket doesn't work to take off nut on the companion flange on the transfer case. The walls of the 12-point are too thick to fit between the nut and the inside wall of the flange. NAPA sells a 1/2 inch drive 6-point socket and that will fit to take the nut on and off. If you need the size I can add it to the forum when I get home if you need it.

CGarbee

Last one of these that I did, I used a six point socket out of my 3/4" set (from Agri-Supply) and spun it with my 1/2" air wrench... Really easy to take off and resnug back on.

Been using the newer seals and redi-sleaving all the NP200's when I get a truck into the yard on general principle ever since I learned of the diffence in the tempurature specifications for the seals.

I don't post much over on the G741 either. More from getting tired of seeing the same questions/comments come up time and time again than from becomming annoyed at any one person or persons. Then too, my motor pool has more variety in it then it used to have... :)

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Socket size

I found out that the socet size is 1 5/16. I found a sixpoint socket at a local tool store. The yoke came off much easier than I expected. I think it's been on there since 1953. The seal played hard to get. I finally got it out with a awl and hammer. It came out a small peice at a time. My biggest concern was dropping a piece if it in the transfer case. But I was able to avoid that. The new seal and Redi Sleeve went right in, no leaks so far! :grin:

knattrass

Bill - it was good to see your truck and trailer (aka The Hilton) at Lind's VanHoosen get together. That trailer is a hoot - just be sure you hide the flowers/vase that your wife keeps in it! You should do a whole write up on what you did and how it works. Simply amazing. I have the "Gen Patton" shiney M37/M101 combo and the M3 SC that were on the other side of the wall. Take care and see you at the next event. Keith

p.s. - I am a regular at G741, most guys are under control, but like here, there are some characters. MM is the rock.

zak

I posted ' over there' as Larry S. After the format changed I found it too hard to post pics. I gravitated here because of the variety of posts and posters. Its been a crazy summer, could only make it to one event. The M37 has been only moved once and that was because I needed to get something out of the garage and it was in the way. Wish I could retire

ida34

Same guy! This site feels like home. I was using the PWA site a while ago, but I had a problem with Gordon, so I left there.

We took it to Greenfield Village for the Motor Muster. It's a huge vintage car/truck show. They set up a large area for the military vehicles and allow us to camp out on site. We took a first place with the M37 and M101.

Bill Nutting
I went to Motor Muster in 2007 and 2008. This year for some reason, John Lind never got back to me and I forgot about it until it was too late to register. I love that show and hated not being able to attend this year. It is always fun. Congrats on the win.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill - it was good to see your truck and trailer (aka The Hilton) at Lind's VanHoosen get together. That trailer is a hoot - just be sure you hide the flowers/vase that your wife keeps in it! You should do a whole write up on what you did and how it works. Simply amazing. I have the "Gen Patton" shiney M37/M101 combo and the M3 SC that were on the other side of the wall. Take care and see you at the next event. Keith

p.s. - I am a regular at G741, most guys are under control, but like here, there are some characters. MM is the rock.
Hey Keith,

I saw your truck and trailer at VanHoosen. Very nice stuff! My rig is a rat in comparison. The only reason I took a first place at the Motor Muster is because there was a weak turn out. Jim's WWII ambulance and my M37 were the only trucks there. There were about eight jeeps and that's it. But I'll keep the first place trophy cuz it'll add value to my truck when it comes time to sell it. :)

I'm having a lot of laughs with the trailer. When the cover is down, it's just a cargo trailer. But when everyone goes home and I roll up the cover, it becomes a camper. Just so the other guys know, the flower "vase" is a 1911 holster with silk flowers painted camo. My wife has a good sense of humor too.

I built it for the Motor Muster because I'm too darn old to sleep on the ground in a shelter half and a GP small is to darn big for my wife and I to set up.

See ya at the next John Lind gig...