• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case vibrations... and metal in the trans fluid...

sailor2000

The shift lever on my transfer case vibrates and wobbles around something fierce at 35+ mph... if i put a slight upward or downward tension on it, it feels like holding onto a blender... pressure to the side seems to quiet it down... and just left loose it bounces up, down and around and makes a ding-ka-ding noise... I am thinking this is bad??? I drained the oil and found nothing to speak of on the drain plug magnet... rotating the output shafts by hand I feel nothing amiss....

Also... when I drained the trans fluid... it had maybe a tablespoon or so of coarse steel filings in it... maybe 20 yrs of bad downshifts??? Is that much metal a baddd thing??? From the stank and the dark color am guessing it was OLDDDDDDD GL1...

JDToumanian

The transfer shift levers do tend to bounce around, from what I've seen. I noticed that most of the slop was in the linkage, and due to the fact that the linkage used bolts instead of pins... A 1/2" bolt might mike out at around .485", not .500". That slop adds up with the number of joints in the linkage and there's your slop. I cut new linkage pins from .500" drill rod, and simply drilled holes for cotter pins with washers, as shown in the pic.

My linkage is now as good as it gets. There's still some play, but it doesn't bounce around.

As for the vibration... It's probably the beginning of the end for your transfer case. They get steadily worse until they start popping out of high gear, then it's time to overhaul or replace. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it.

Jon

Attachments

sailor2000

JDToumanian said:
As for the vibration... It's probably the beginning of the end for your transfer case. They get steadily worse until they start popping out of high gear, then it's time to overhaul or replace. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it.

Jon
Wow... what great news... another chance to spend the weekend under the Deuce changing out the transfer case... the fiance will be so happy!! LOL!!

So... anyone know of a source for a good transfer case take-out in reasonable range from Houston????

acetomatoco

I would put in new GL1 and run it...It may last another 10 years in the condition its in...In the meantime, get another and get it serviced so you can put it in at your leisure. Linkage adjustment and service on the pins is the right routine for the lever shakes, and the inevitable bungee cord...run it Dano.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks