• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer PTO adjustments, maintenance

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody know where in the TM's I can find info and diagrams for the transfer case PTO linkage?

I have browsed the TM 9-2320-209-20-3 and saw info adjustments on the transmission unit linkages, but nothing on the transfer unit. TM 9-2520-2 covers both PTO units, but leaves out info on linkages.

I purchased a used transfer case PTO unit and linkages and am trying to confirm the linkages I was supplied are correct. Any info or pics are appreciated.

Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, post a pic of what you have. This pic has everything but the short link from the shifter to the PTO.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last one I installed had the link missing from the PTO to the shift shaft. I think I ended up using a M35 clutch rod I had lying around. Adjustment isn't all that critical. You just need to make sure that when the lever is all the way up it pulls the lever on the PTO all the way forward.

I can give you the measurement of how long mine is if it will help.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, sorry no photos are coming, I'm away from the truck at the moment. However your photo is helpful: I did not know there was an instruction plate! I'd like to source a info plate for this modification as I want it to look like it was always there.

I knew I was missing the oil line and will have to put something together, possibly a braided hose with fittings if the stock tube is difficult to source.

Gerhard, Thank you for that thread link. It was pointed out in there that there are additional linkages for a lockout. The image below is from another thread related to adding a PTO hydraulic pump. There is a long linkage (to the left of the gasket) that must be for something other than shifting the PTO. That was what got me concerned.

Ty, I believe I received the longitudinal shift linkage. It is about 6-8". Does that sound about right?

At the moment, I believe I have what I need and can manage the details, like the info plate, oil line and threaded mounting studs.

Thanks,

Rick

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.................. There is a long linkage (to the left of the gasket) that must be for something other than shifting the PTO. ................
Always learning (Thanks Rick).... I just realized that there are TWO different models used for the short lever that goes through the cab floor; where the PTO shift linkage connects to.
Only one of them (part #10897120) has two holes and allows to hook up that TC interlock linkage.
Since I only have the 1-hole-style levers here (#7411413) I never could figure out how exactly that long linkage was mounted... now I can sleep again...! :)

Below - left, is my own version of the exploded view - fig. 238 from TM -361-34P; which I think is a bit easier to understand...
(seems the author of the original diagram wasn't very much inspired that day...:p)

G.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The long link and other parts sitting next to the gasket in the pic is the interlock to prevent you from using the PTO with the t-case in gear. It really isn't needed.

Here's a pic of the interlock installed- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/385024-post15.html

I don't have the interlock on mine because I like the ability to use my PTO while the truck is moving.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks