• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Switch decision.

TheAlfredo

I am looking for a transfer switch for my parents house. 200amp main panel feeding 2 sub panels. I bought them an 803a

Option 1 is SE manual transfer switch...but then my parents would have to walk to the 3 panels, turn off breakers before transferring power.

Option 2 is an ATS with load shedding. (RXSW200A3) Generac has one model that can control up to 4 Hvac and 8 modules that can shed 8 different cuicuits.
I would have to calculate how many amps I would be shedding off to see if code would allow an ATS with our 10Kw gen. I don't plan on using autostart. But might use a remote start setup.

Option 3 is a "Non-Automatic" transfer switch in which a button would have to be pressed to transfer power. But run into the same issues as Option 1

Has anyone used Generacs panels or "Smart Management Modules" SMM? These modules appear to be standalone and monitor Electrical frequency. When it senses a drop in Hertz to a predetermined spec, it sheds the load it is hooked up to.

Haoleb

I would just install a manual transfer switch that would be placed between the meter and the main panel. It will have to be sized for the 200A service since it will become your service entrance equipment but still I would expect it will be a lot cheaper than an automatic switch and load shedding. Yeah you'll have to switch off some stuff manually but its not like the MEP is going to be switching itself online anyway. They still need to go out and verify everything is good to go before and after starting.

If you want a hardened backup power system, which I assume you do purchasing the MEP then a mechanical switch is going to be a lot better than relying on electronics and electro-mechanical contactors.

AlexV

I like an Interlock or a 3 way throw switch. I have an Interlock on my panel at home. At my business I have a Kohler 60 KW natural gas generator that's three years old. I've already had to replace the board in the transfer switch.

adamaus2007

Had a similar quagmire. Went the manual transfer method and found a thread last month on a remote start system for the MEP off flea bay for about $12.00. Came in today and am hoping to install this weekend. My goal is to get the start up process down to one manual switch on the service panel and a simple remote press.

My final though process on the decision of the manual transfer to have control over the run times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks