• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Switch

rustystud

If I was looking for a transfer switch I'd buy that for 200 dollars in a heart beat. Nothing beats the correct way to do the job. I have the full GE zenith control panel at my shop, as well as at my mom's house. But they are approx $1800 or so at my cost.

You may be ok at low amps and a knife switch, but I cringe thinking about that. I've seen enough arc flash damage and explosions in my line of work. It is relatively low voltage, and low load.. but I would never ever transfer a knife switch into load myself. I suppose going into the load would not be as bad as breaking the load, but still not a fan.
What do you mean "the right way " ? My system passes the "NEC" electrical code here, otherwise I would not have passed inspection ! As far as enclosed arc protected switches go, they are more for protecting delicate electronics then safety. This switch for $200.00 is not arc protected, it is just "automatic" not manually switched. You guys that are concerned about the arc protected switches need to buy the current
"NEC" handbook and see for yourselfs what the codes really are. NEC stands for "National Electrical Code" .