• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfercase PTO Hydraulics

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this could be a doofus question but I want to install a hydraulic pump to a PTO off the back of the transfercase on my M54A2 but since there is no neutral position for the transfercase operation how am I supposed to be able to run anything hydraulic without being in motion?

is this not where the dumptruck and wrecker hyd pumps were driven from?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this could be a doofus question but I want to install a hydraulic pump to a PTO off the back of the transfercase on my M54A2 but since there is no neutral position for the transfercase operation how am I supposed to be able to run anything hydraulic without being in motion?

is this not where the dumptruck and wrecker hyd pumps were driven from?
There IS a neutral position in the transfer, right between high and low, the wrecker drivers off the transfer, the dump drives off the trans, you WILL need a transfer pto kit, also BEFORE you do any modding I would suggest that you READ tm9-2320-211-10 "THE OPERATERS MANUAL"

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I missed this before and was wondering if I was asking a doofus question but glad to know that there is a neutral position as I really was thinking there must be one. I have acquired a wrecker PTO and next will be to add a big 10+ gpm dumptruck type pump and a 15gal reservoir. Many pics of all the mods I have made to the M54 will be coming soon after a long winter's work. Now she has a 14' bed set up to dump and a 12' wide angle road plow on the front. Soon will be a set of shearlegs for a crane and a pair of tugger winched on top of a big headache rack behind the cab.

1389981924442.jpg

Anyway, thanks for answering an easy question.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Still before you do any modding, read the -10, it is FULL of surprises and wonderment like the transfer has high, NETRAL, and low.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The WRECKER pto DOES NOT have a clutch to disengage it, these ptos run 100% of the time to the power divider, the power divide is where the clutches are for the crane and winch as well as the disengagement of the power divider from the transfer case drive, if you USE this pto you will burn up your pump because it will be running 100% while going down the road, the wrecker drive turns 1 to 1 with trans output because the transfer case ptos are driven by the transfer case INPUT shaft, so if you are in over drive at full throttle, your pump WILL be turning the same as the trans in over drive.

The transfer case pto YOU NEED is one out of a m819/m246, this IS a CLUTCH pto

Last edited:

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
aren't large dump truck hyd pumps set up to run on full time power take offs and can recerc the fluid back to the res tank when not needed?

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, all the dump trucks I've ever seen only run the PTO when they are dumping. Concrete trucks usually run the pump all the time but they have hyd coolers and big pumps.

You need a way to turn the PTO on and off. Even if you did make a setup that wouldn't melt down at hwy speeds you'd still be causing unnecessary wear and the pump will be robbing engine power.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is what I love about this forum...advice to keep one from making a bone head mistake!

anyway, are there not hydraulic pumps that can run continuously and just recirculate the fluid then there is no demand? I know that might require a cooler but I see on eBay what are called "dumptruck" pumps. They look like this:

$(KGrHqNHJEoE+WIkmzO)BQ(,EO(vQ!~~60_57.jpg

it appears there is a control rod that would go to the cab I assume to activate a recirc valve?

ThatXJGuy

This thread is right up my alley! I am looking at putting a pump on my truck ('62 M55) to run a dumping bed, a hydraulic crane, and operate a rear winch hopefully. I was planning on the accessory PTO that runs off of the winch PTO and sends power rearward, then mounting the pump just behind the cab where the crane and winch will be mounted and running hoses to the dump setup a little farther rearwards... I haven't bought anything yet though and wasn't sure what pump I would need, I was hoping to find a dump truck setup off of a 5 ton that would just bolt on... but anyways, I am glad I found this thread!

bearboley

The rod is the spool control valve, it directs fluid flow " raising and lowering the bed". That type of pump has a built in relief valve. you just plumb the pressure line from pump to your dump cyl. and a return from your pump to your tank. along with a supply line from tank.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for that info on the pumps. I really don't want one with that spool myself as I plan to run alot more hydraulics off the same pump but do need one that has a relief that will allow the fluid to recirc when I am driving. Either that or I need a pto with a clutch which is also a possibility but just would require more controls to be set up in the cab.

right now I plan to have hydraulic lines running forward to the plow, up to tugger winches on a rack above the cab, to the dump and a wet kit on the very back end. I am also seriously considering converting from the PTO winch to a hydraulic winch. Anyone ever convert a 20k# Garwood to hyd. drive?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No, all the dump trucks I've ever seen only run the PTO when they are dumping. Concrete trucks usually run the pump all the time but they have hyd coolers and big pumps.

You need a way to turn the PTO on and off. Even if you did make a setup that wouldn't melt down at hwy speeds you'd still be causing unnecessary wear and the pump will be robbing engine power.

These trucks have a controlled pto, they can be disengaged.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want your pump running all the time. They don't make a pump with some sort of "relief" that allows the pump to run all the time. To run the pump all the time you'd really need a closed center system (high dollar and overly complicated for what you're doing).

There are a bunch of things to consider when installing hyd on a truck. What all are you planning on running and what are the GPM and PSI requirements?

Do you understand how a open center hyd system works?

Sephirothq

I had an M811 gullwing body truck and the PTO from the transfercase to run the generator could be turned on and off with a lever from inside the cab. So I am not sure about the statement of you need an M819 PTO only.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had an M811 gullwing body truck and the PTO from the transfercase to run the generator could be turned on and off with a lever from inside the cab. So I am not sure about the statement of you need an M819 PTO only.
Thank you, I forgot about that truck, the m815 ALSO has a controllable transfer pto, think the lift gate van truck m820a2 has one also ???

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, understood now but what I am wondering is what I lose by having an open system where the fluid not under pressure recircs back to the reservoir when I am simply driving? I know there will be some temp increase in the oil but if the tank is large the heat should dissipate and the HP lost should not be great since the pump isn't pushing 2500psi when the circuit is open. Please explain why an open system is no good for my truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks