• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfercase reversal/ 5 and 5 deuce tranny

Oscarsbigredball

Hey everyone out there. just got a general question that I need answered.

could reversing the direction of the transfer case be able to act as a sort of double over drive. not to go faster just for better economy. reversed the case would have a .4 to 1 turn ratio in (what was) low range and 1 to 1 in (what was) high range. Does anybody know if a deuece with the engine tuned for maximum torque could handle this. If it were run in hi range in third gear that would be a .756 to 1 gear ratio wich isnt much higher than 5th gears .85 to 1 ratio. if the deuce has enough torque so as not to get lock-jaw, 1500 at the engine would be 2000 at the diff wich would increase mpg by at least 2-3.

has anybody tried this before or mabey a 5 and 5 tranny like they used in farm equipent back in the 50's and if you did was it successful.

any info on this would help because the shop vans mileage is terriable at about 5 or 6 on a good day.

KsM715

First, I have know idea if it would work, But I would bet you would have some sort of oiling problems. I believe most gear cases are designed to "fling" oil when spinning. I dont know if thats the case with this case.

Good question, got my curiousity up, if for no other reason than "what if"

Westech

CPL
First, I have know idea if it would work, But I would bet you would have some sort of oiling problems. I believe most gear cases are designed to "fling" oil when spinning. I dont know if thats the case with this case.

Good question, got my curiousity up, if for no other reason than "what if"

It is "I have no Idea" and the B does not have to be capital, you forgot the ' in "dont", thats is not a word. It is "That is" .And last "curiousity" is curiosity.

That ends Westy's spelling corrections for the remaining year of 2011.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want better economy and believe you have enough power, how about a test of turning down your fuel delivery a tad for a few tanks to see if you can squeeze out your 2-3mpg without all the fussing?

Rick

KsM715

It is "I have no Idea" and the B does not have to be capital, you forgot the ' in "dont", thats is not a word. It is "That is" .And last "curiousity" is curiosity.

rofl It was late. (for me anyways) And sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain. I actually woke up in the middle of the night and realized it should have been "sling" not fling.:razz:

You know I'm going to hold you to that last part.

droopypete

Surely a comer should have followed "thats is not a word" not a full stop (period), as your justification of the criticism is merely a continuation of the original sentience not a new subject requiring a separate sentence.

Peter.
ps. in your sig, you need to put a space between "(with lockers)" and "F/S" and why do you have a full stop (period) after "tow bar" but not at the end of any other line?

:mrgreen:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
5th is not .85, never was and never will be. fuel economy will not be gained by any sort of overdrive, at least not in any real way. some small gain is had with my od gear set, but only if you keep mph at 55 or less.

tom

kastein

You are really going to hate 1st gear if you use the case backwards in low range... it will be gutless. Unless you are planning on shifting the second case into low range while already moving (can you do this on these cases? I am not sure, only have significant experience on little cases) taking off from a stop is going to be no fun.

BadMastard

I have a question or two here. So I understand the thought of reversing the transfer case to change the gear ratio. And if the goal is to improve gas mileage, then wouldn't you need to know the exact point of maximum torque/minimum rpm and base your preferred speed to exactly that? Then in theory you are making best possible use of available torque as lowest fuel rate? I'm sure there are 5 million other factors in here and at least 2 other people will have 3 million of them each. I like the idea though, chasing better fuel economy through experimentation. As long as I don't have to turn the wrench, even better!