• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission and transfer options for 818 (809 series.)

ke5eua

Been looking on flea bay and yeah, that's fun. Transmission doesn't even need to be allision, just automatic, medium to heavy duty with the ability to bolt directly to sae #2 bell housing.

Csm Davis

The 5 speed will fit with little modification. The 7 will mean moving the transfer case back and I don't think there's enough room on an 818 the drive shaft is SHORT already. If you want to drive up I can show you the 931 distances. Also if you want a 5 speed transmission we can get you one for a good price.

Last edited:

ke5eua

The 5 speed will fit with little modification. The 7 will mean moving the transfer case back and I don't think there's enough room on an 818 the drive shaft is SHORT already. If you want to drive up I can show you the 931 distances. Also if you want a 5 speed transmission we can get you one for a good price.
I don't think your "good" price and my wife's idea of a good price are the same, lol.

I saw a 7 speed that is in the fmtv on eBay for 2k out of az, might be a member on here.

Pretty sure its going to be the 5 speed.

fasttruck

Remember the existing spicer trans has an air valve on the cover to orient the transfer case to which direction the transmission is going. Not
familiar with 900 series automatics; do they have this feature? Otherwise when the army trans comes out you loose the 6X6 when the trans
is not compatible with the transfer case.

ke5eua

That's why I'm looking at the 7 speed wtec ii out of the fmtv series, built in transfer.

In a few weeks I'll have in the classifieds a Spicer 5 speed and the sprag transfer.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's why I'm looking at the 7 speed wtec ii out of the fmtv series, built in transfer. In a few weeks I'll have in the classifieds a Spicer 5 speed and the sprag transfer.
The FMTV transmission does NOT have a "built in transfer " it HAS a drop box, which drives the front/rear axles, in normal the tractive output is 30% front/70% rear, with the trans in off road mode which is a MANUAL down shift to 1st, the tractive output goes to 50% front/rear, the FMTV is a all wheel vehicle 100% of the time, there is NO low, FWD disengagement or natural in the drop box, the only thing close to a transfer in the drop box is the shifting from 30%/70% to 50%/50%

Last edited:

ke5eua

The FMTV transmission does NOT have a "built in transfer " it HAS a drop box, which drives the front/rear axles, in normal the tractive output is 30% front/70% rear, with the trans in off road mode which is a MANUAL down shift to 1st, the tractive output goes to 50% front/rear, the FMTV is a all wheel vehicle 100% of the time, there is NO low, FWD disengagement or natural in the drop box, the only thing close to a transfer in the drop box is the shifting from 30%/70% to 50%/50%
I'm very familiar with the transmissions in the fmtv series. I actually like them very well.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's why I'm looking at the 7 speed wtec ii out of the fmtv series, built in transfer.

In a few weeks I'll have in the classifieds a Spicer 5 speed and the sprag transfer.
I'm very familiar with the transmissions in the fmtv series. I actually like them very well.
I see that., which brings up another QUESTION, do you plan on FWD 100% of the time OR how are you going to deal with that issue.

Last edited:

ke5eua

I see that., which brings up another QUESTION, do you plan on FWD 100% of the time OR how are you going to deal with that issue.
When I refer to transfer I am referring to the ability to transfer the power to both the front and rear wheels at.

Right now the current transfer case in the 818 provides all time 6x6 and it's not a 50 50 split either.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mating the MD3070 to the ancient 250 will be a nightmare. Sell the 818 and buy a MTV for the same money.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I refer to transfer I am referring to the ability to transfer the power to both the front and rear wheels at.

Right now the current transfer case in the 818 provides all time 6x6 and it's not a 50 50 split either.
The 5t transfer does not provide tractive effort to the front axle 100% of the tine, there is a CLUTCH that engages the front axle, controlled by either a air switch (939) or a automatic over running clutch (39/809 series), 99% of the time the truck IS powered by the REAR AXLES ONLY, the FMTV powers the front axle 100% of the time, there is NO DISCONNECT CLUTCH to disengage the FWD, there IS NOT a provision for REAR DRIVE ONLY, so there still is the QUESTION, do you plan on ALL WHEEL DRIVE 100% of the time OR how do you plan on dealing with the AWD 100% of the time ISSUE.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks