• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission ATF drain plug location

Hi All,
My auto transmission fluid level appeares to be over full so I thought I would drain off some of the fluid however whilst inder the truck I can not find a drain plug on the transmission. How does one drain the ATF from the transmission? Truck is a 2004 M1097a2 with overdrive and Park.
Thanks

Some do not have drain plugs. You can buy a new pan with a drain plug or tap one in yourself. did you measure it with the engine warmed up or cold?
Hi yes I checked the level both cold and warm and with the engine on tickover. Put box through all gears as well. When running the fluid is slightly bubbly too which means it's over filled. The level is about half inch above the "s" bend on the dip stick.

Thanks guys for the help. It would make things much easier if they fitted a drain plug on all the Oil pans. Why wouldn't you have one. Makes no sense.
I do have an oil siphon which I use to change the oil in the rear axle on my Dodge. Don't ask!
Hopefully the hose for it is long enough.
not sure how my font changed half way through. Like it though.
Thanks again

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for the help. It would make things much easier if they fitted a drain plug on all the Oil pans. Why wouldn't you have one. Makes no sense.
I do have an oil siphon which I use to change the oil in the rear axle on my Dodge. Don't ask!
Hopefully the hose for it is long enough.
not sure how my font changed half way through. Like it though.
Thanks again
I have never seen a drain plug on any civilian light/med duty auto transmission, just about everything military has drain plugs, maybe those that don't were replacement transmissions?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How detrimental to the transmission is it to have too much ATF in it? I haven't done many miles in her since I got her so just worried I may have done some damage.
Not likely going to be a problem, as you already stated the biggest issue is the rotating mass getting into the fluid and whipping air into it, make sure you check the TC fluid to make sure you do not have the vampire thing going on (usually transfers fluid FROM the trans to the TC) of course you want to check/change all the fluids and filters including the hubs before pulling out of your driveway.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a drain pan under there and loosen one of the transmission fluid lines a bit and you can get out what you need to from there.

A vampire leak will cause you to lose fluid as it goes places you don't want it to go. My vampire leak turned my air filter into an oil bath system.

Mark

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here in the US, you can buy kits to add a drain plug to a pan. Basically drill a hole and the fitting has a nut and washer on both ends with the pipe plug in the middle.
You could also buy a deeper pan with cooling fins and a drain plug. This will also add two more quarts of tranny fuild to the mix.

Mark

s-l400 - 2023-03-21T152517.398.jpg

87cr250r

Be mindful that most of those drain plug kits use a plastic washer which can cold flow from under the bolt head. Look for a kit that uses a metallic washer, dowty washer, or has some type of retaining washer/feature.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks