• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Choice M1009

ssdvc

if your stock th400 transmission was nearing it's end of life, what would you do? It would be turning a stock 6.2 and the only departure from stock is a set of 33's.

Would you take it to get rebuilt or swap it out with some other compatible transmission? What would be the cost difference?

Just wondering out loud.

chevyCUCV

I would put in a sm465, manual trans L123
They are cheap, you can rebuild them yourself and it will offer better mpg's.
It has similar gear ratios as the th400 (no overdrive)

Can buy a parts truck and swap all the parts to be easiest, then sell/scrap the leftovers
Also could go with 700r4 or 4180e but that gets expensive fast
Nv4500 is a manual with overdrive, the best choice but it will cost more than the sm465

Anubis8472

Dave, they are gutless when new. :beer:
That's just the difference between torque and horsepower.

I will say my 78' inline six k-5 sure was a lot more 'ballsy' then the 6.2, but then it was a little lighter.

Like someone else said, if funding was not an issue a 4l80e would be my first choice. This is an expensive option because you have to purchase an aftermarket computer to run it. A manual shift conversion is also an option, but if I were to go that route why not put in a real manual trans.

Funding being realistic, I would rebuild the TH400 myself. For a couple hundred bucks, you can't beat it.

TyJustice

Nv4500 is a manual with overdrive, the best choice but it will cost more than the sm465
Has anyone completed a Nv4500 swap? I've been considering this option when the th400 finally lets go.

What price point is reasonable for the Nv4500 and where would one go to purchase the clutch set up and other accessories necessary for the install?

Thanks for any help!:beer:

chevyCUCV

Acenights on here has done an nv4500 swap
Made a very informative thread about it

My choice would be nv4500 or to be really special get a zf6, Handshakers are the way to go

Tanner

Spicer 3053A Deuce transmission - tough as a steel anvil, shifts like a real truck transmission should, they are cheap & nearly indestructible... and NV4500's - while okay - do have their weaknesses, aren't cheap to buy, use pricey synthetic fluid, and good ones are harder to find.

'Tanner'

chevyCUCV

Spicer 3053A Deuce transmission - tough as a steel anvil, shifts like a real truck transmission should, they are cheap & nearly indestructible... and NV4500's - while okay - do have their weaknesses, aren't cheap to buy, use pricey synthetic fluid, and good ones are harder to find.

'Tanner'
I was going to post that up, but dont you have to go with a divorced tcase to use that?

Tanner

Lol and what kind of an adapter plate will that take!?!?
Given time, patience & a few bits of metal, anything can be adapted to most anything else... :beer:
Once you start changing things here & there, what's left on the truck that makes it remain a CUCV?

'Tanner'

Dwayne00

I recently bought a 1986 M1009 Blazer with only 40000 on it. Mechanically sound. Just replace both alternators and going to change the gasket for rear axle gear tomorrow, last person did horrible job and leaking like a siv....lol Plus transmission pan is leaking and was recently serviced before I bought it. That being said, I want to get a transmission with an overdrive. I have a bad right shoulder and arm, disabled vet here, so manual tranny a no go. I do not want a computer of the 4l80, want to keep the green beast simple. Any way of modifying the 3l80 to a non electronic 4l80??? even possible of just a pipe dream? I have to pay someone else and do not have tons of money, I need to install AC into it also, I am an old K( guy and have a PTSD Service Dog I am making the vehicle for us to go hunting in. Going to make a ZORT K9 Unit out of the M1009.

Cmon guys, help an old K9 guy out here with some good advice. Is there a good none electronic swap our of a civilian Blazer for 82-86 I could go try and get at a junkyard and have someone rebuild for me and install that is a four or five speed???

Thanks - Dwayne 'Big Dawg' Higgins

sandcobra164

Mr. Higgins,
Respectfully, why do you need a trans with an overdrive? In M1009 trim, they do just fine on the highway and interstate going 70 plus mph. The M1009's have 3.08 gears. The rest of the CUCV crowd likes to upgrade because we have 4.56 gears as supplied and running 55 mph down the road sounds like an early death to the engine. Ok, Rant Over and somewhat rationale thought applied.

My Wife has an 09 Tahoe with a 6L80 trans mated to a 5.3L engine. At 55 mph, it is only turning 1,200 rpms and at 70 mph, it is just cresting 1,600 rpms. Now, lets think about the horsepower and torque ratings of these two engines. Both are stock and in good working order and no modifications have been done.

130/240 is not a good horsepower/torque rating when compared to the 315/340 rating in the same format. Her Tahoe seems sluggish at times but has the option of dropping down a gear or two when needed. I doubt you will find what you are looking for by adding an overdrive trans to the M1009.

The M1009 should have a TH400 in it as supplied. If there is something different, tell us what is in it. Respectfully, Joseph.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

A factory transmission with overdrive would have been the 700R4. The only electronically controlled circuit was the torque converter lockup. Two options, wire in a toggle switch to engage lockup or place a check ball on the top of the solenoid to bypass the solenoid. It locks up the converter clutch in 2-4. I still think you would have the issue of the truck barely being able to use the overdrive at speeds below 70 mph. As for the comparison of the 6L80 vs a 700R4, 4L60E, or 4L80E, they have very similar overdrive ratios in the high gear. The 6L80 does have an additional overdrive but it is situated as 5th, not 6th.

86m1028

MORE power is needed to utilize an overdrive gear.

Not a cucv but I have a factory Chevy with turbo 6.5/ nv4500/4.63 gears.
That motor stuggles to maintain highway speeds in overdrive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks