• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission // Clutch slip

Vfflang

On the way home my clutch started slipping.

My question is if you over filled the transmission would it cause the clutch to slip?

When I got the truck the Trans and transfer were overfilled bad. Try to get all the fluid out but its at the fill plug at both.

Nonotagain

Check the volume of transmission oil, one knuckle low should be good.

Brake cleaner is your friend. Hose the clutch down real good, push pedal in a couple of times and repeat the cleaning operation. Also flush the bell housing out.

If the friction material is totally gooped, a clutch will be in your future.

Vfflang

Check the volume of transmission oil, one knuckle low should be good.

Brake cleaner is your friend. Hose the clutch down real good, push pedal in a couple of times and repeat the cleaning operation. Also flush the bell housing out.

If the friction material is totally gooped, a clutch will be in your future.

How do you flush out the bell housing out. is there an access panel or do I have to pull the trans?

DieselBob

On the bottom of the bell housing there is a rectangular plate that has I think 6 bolts you remove. This will give you access to spray the clutch and inside the bell housing. Good time to grease the throwout bearing.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had loads of experience w/ that when we took Elise's M109 up the eastern sierras last summer.

We started w/ a fairly new, to us, tranny. Couldn't get it to stop puking out the bellhousing. Ended up pulling the tranny right before the trip and finding that the oil return hole on the front had been plugged w/ some permatex from over use by the prev mechanic. Cleaned the hole out, and left a few days later.
First day was couple hundred miles at 2400. The tranny was hot enough to expand the oil and anything over it's desired fill level was pushed out through the bellhousing.
Elise was learning to drive the truck, climbing mountains, and the clutch would start slipping. We'd find a place to pull over, I'd roll under the truck w/ a can of brake cleaner (carried two, or three at all time) and spay it up though the drain hole (w/ a sheet of cardboard on the ground). She would work the clutch a few times, and off we'd go.
After a few days of driving the fluid level was at the desired level (for this tranny), and the clutch quit slipping.

Elise has now driven the "She Beast" over 3000 miles in the last year, about half on dirt tracks, and has become one He!! of a driver.

Vfflang

pulled the access plate off today and sprayed brake cleaner up there about 1 and half cans.

are the throw bearing in that access plate to gease or are there somewhere else ?

I took it for a drive right after and slipping got worse(alot of rpm not alot of movenment ) then better( less sliping better top end speeds in low gears) as I contiune to drive.

The grease point for the bearing is on the bearing itself, (inside the opening on the shaft). It usually requires a grease gun with a rigid tube to seat correctly but you may be able to do it with a flexible hose, just more of a pain.

paulfarber

Check your clutch pedal free play. IIRC it should be an inch.. TM will have the exact number.

You should smell the clutch lining burn if its slipping... unless its all gone then you will hear metal on metal.

Vfflang

Check your clutch pedal free play. IIRC it should be an inch.. TM will have the exact number.

You should smell the clutch lining burn if its slipping... unless its all gone then you will hear metal on metal.
I got an inch of play... No smells that I can tell but metal on metal not sure if it is.. I know if I don't get on the gas right away it won't slip

SMOKEWAGON66

...i found this thread very informative. Last weekend, after putting the new bed on, i took it for a spin. The clutch slipped coming up an incline to the main road from a stop. I took the inspection cover off and the zerk for the throw out fell out. I put that back in and hit it with a little grease. when i started it up again, there was this god-awful chirping-grinding noise in the bellhousing that stopped with the clutch depressed. So im thinking the throw out is on its way out. So im planning on yanking the tranny out this weekend and pulling the clutch because i think the disk got soaked with oil. If it can be salvaged then so be it, if not, at last the tranny will be out so i can replace the disk, pressure plate, and the throw out...any comments? advice? PM me please.

SMOKEWAGON66

Put a new rear-main seal in the engine while you have it apart.
Great idea....

I was reading my -20 this morning on Tranny removal and there was a fig. that showed a small A-frame winch used to lower the tranny to the ground. It rested on the floor of the cab with the seats and floor panels removed. GENIOUS! i think im gonna build one and ill post pics/results when i get it done...

Vfflang

Does any one know about the finger on the pressure plate can't seem to find the answer ....zero bars on the I phone makes it interesting

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I've yet to mess with a deuce's clutch.
Yes there should be should be tension on the disk, exhibited by the fingers moving down as it is tightened.
There should be clearance between the fingers and throw out bearing

rolling18

On the bottom of the bell housing there is a rectangular plate that has I think 6 bolts you remove. This will give you access to spray the clutch and inside the bell housing. Good time to grease the throwout bearing.
very very informative thread!! but i got a weird question maybe you can help with??

when I took that plate off there was lots of oil dripping in adition there was this part that fell out.. can anyone ID it?
AND where exactly do i aim the break cleaner to clean?
thanks!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks