• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission cooler for M939 series trucks, anyone done this ?

rrrr

At a recent mudfest my M932a1 tructor tranny got warm 275 degrees (I had dex 3 in the tranny). I was doing some heavy pulling. The engine temp stayed cool and since my pulling speeds were so low the tranny never got good cooling. I did change the fluid and drop the pan and change the filter after the event since my truck started shifting down hard. The new fluid and filters fixed this.

I've been thinking about adding a tranny cooler to the front of the radiator. Has anyone done this ?

Hayden makes a heavy unit that lists the MT654 on it on an online site.

The unit is a Hayden oc-1292.

Last edited:

Cannoncocker

Trans cooler for M923a2

Great idea. Here in the desert where temps can exceed 120 degrees keeping any automatic transmission cool is problem. Even before I bought my M923a2 I was kicking the idea around as to an extra trans cooler and how to best go about it. HD would be an understatement for off road conditions. Keep us up to speed on what you come up with. Thank, John
:beer:

rrrr

Yes the trucks have a cooler but I found under heavy load pulling my transmission heated up. Yes my transmission and cooler are fine. This was pulling trucks out of the mud all day. Frequently trucks their trailer and mud trucks on the trailer all at once. They added better coolers to the A2 trucks for this reason.

The cooler uses engine coolant to keep it at a constant temp. During heavy long pulls the transmission will heat up beyond the capability of the cooler to cool.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All M939/A1/A2 trucks have a transmission oil cooler, which is located above the passenger side frame rail next to the engine. M939A2s have a power steering cooler in front of the radiator.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Do all the trucks have the same power steering pump I thought they all had the same coolers. I just figured the trans cooler was built into the radiator.

jw4x4

If the engine stayed cool, the fan actuator was likely not engaged due to the temp not being high enough. If this is the case, a remedy would be to install the 2 bolts which lock the fan to the pulley, bypassing the air clutch. The fan runs all the time. Just remove and stow the bolts at the conclusion of the event.

rrrr

If the engine stayed cool, the fan actuator was likely not engaged due to the temp not being high enough. If this is the case, a remedy would be to install the 2 bolts which lock the fan to the pulley, bypassing the air clutch. The fan runs all the time. Just remove and stow the bolts at the conclusion of the event.
As I mentioned earlier the engine temp was fine and the fan actuator worked as well. The tranny cooler on these trucks just couldn't keep up with the heavy use. My engine temp stayed cool.

When I get a chance, I'm going to look at the system and see how easy it would be to add it in. I was hoping that someone else already had done something like this.

Last edited:

rrrr

The units use engine oil to heat/cool tranny fluid. Way too many connections and I can only imagine a stock cooler costing a lot more and not working as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks