• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Cooler - Which one to go with???

DXTAC

Mongo is going in for a COMPLETE tranny rebuild this weekend. I opted to spend the $$$ and have it done right. Most parts are being replaced vs inspected and reused. I did purchase and opt to have a Derale deep trans pan/cooler installed but I would also like to have an external cooler as well. I have read about stacked, plate & fin etc. but has anyone here actually done an install? I am leaning toward the stacked but any other info would be greatly appreciated. How difficult to install, manufacturer, part numbers, pics if possible etc????!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Cucvnut

where do you want to mount it ? you can mount it inline under the truck or in front of the radiator. I have one with a fan i am going to install under the truck. ill build some mounting tabs and put it under the cab. or you can put it in line with the stock cooler lines that run to the radiator. or you can install it and run lines to the aftermarket cooler and by pass the radiator all together.

Attachments

DXTAC

I have seen the rail mount type but never gave them much thought as I figured the front end, in front or rear of radiator, would be better. Their is enough room under to mount a unit like THIS though.

ehuppert

I used a "cheapie" off a part out one ton and installed in front of the radiator. I would strongly suggest running to the cooler, then through the radiator cooler. These trucks don't run that hot and it's better to have a somewhat constant temperature going back to the trans.