• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Cooler

1986Blazerk5

Has anybody added a trans cooler to thier CUCV, I have a M1009 and i want to add one and im wondering what brand you used and cost

Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever I get a tranny rebuilt one of the things I always have installed is a tranny cooler.

You should be able to pick a good one up for less than $50. Gotta have hoses. I believe every time I've had it done, they connect onto the transmission hose going into the radiator.

One cut, slide one side of the tube on one side of the cut. The other part of the pipe coming out of the cooler to the other side of the cut. I always used a piece of aluminum pipe and two of the correct sized hose clamps and you should be good to go. Total outlay should be less than $75 IF you do the work. Probably twice that if you have it done.

But I will tell you if you plan to use your truck hard, having a tranny cooler is right up there on my list of must haves.

rlwm211

A cooler is a key to extended transmission life and happiness. Without it, you risk internal damage to components if you really "stress" your transmission. Stress to an automatic transmission is simply "HEAT". Heavy use creates HEAT and getting rid of it is paramount to keeping the clutches and bands working as they should.

Towing makes a cooler a must. Heavy 4 wheeling would do the same. If you have oversized tires and a lift installed you need a cooler. Heck, I would install one anyways just because it is the cheapest way to extend the life of your transmission.

I have seen transmission cooler kits in summit and Jegs rated for GVW. The one on my Civvy Suburban is a 24K kit. It is a big cooler and is mounted ahead of the radiator behind the grill. My truck came that way, but I had to rework the plumbing as it was pretty shoddily done.

Just my two cents

RL

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RL, EXCELLENT description.

Right on the money. And yeah, that's exactly where every one of mine have gone. In front of the radiator but behind the grill. If you either purchase a black one, OR spray the silver one with a flat black paint they LITERALLY disappear behind the grill.

And yeah, even if I never tow anything, I ALWAYS add a tranny cooler.

I'm seriously considering adding a power steering pump cooler as well. No reason to have any problems with steering or brakes.

LanceRobson

An aftermarket cooler is a great way to head off problems for any hard working auto tranny. Heat is the number 1 enemy of transmissions. The cooler will come with instructions. You have two options for hooking the plumbing up.

The easy way is to bypass the cooler in the radiator and run the tranny lines to the new cooler. The slightly more complicated way is to let the tranny fluid run through the radiator first to cool down some and then route it to the aftermarket cooler.

I use the second method. It gets fluid to the aftermarket cooler at a lower temperature and in turn the fluid returning to the tranny is that much cooler.

With the first method you just cut the two lines from the tranny and route them to the cooler.

With the second method you identify the return line from the radiator, cut it and route that to the cooler. To tell which is the return line you start with a cold engine and tranny, make sure you are not going to get grabbed up by any belts or fan blades and start the engine and put your hand on the two lines coming from the tranny. After just a few second of idle one will begin to warm up from the heat generated by the pumping process. The warm line is the feed line, the cool line is the return-cut the return and send it to the cooler.

One of the challenges with a CUCV tranny cooler is getting to the grill. You will likely need to remove or loosen the grill guard (what most folks call the brush guard)

Don't get too wrapped up in sizes or brand names. For me, I figure that bigger is better but, like you, I also live in a cold climate area and in winter I'm gentle with the tranny until we've gone far enough to warm it up.

Any parts store should have access to a wide selection of coolers

Lance

I was told by a transmission shop its best to bypass the radiator in hotter climates such as here in florida. By doing so the transmission doesnt absorb heat from the engine especially in over heating situations.

btrapr

Go to a JunkYard or pull-a-part!

The late model Ford V-8 ford truck have really nice ones! Edpeitions, Explorers, etc...Minivans...Etc... just walk around and see which ones are to your liking!

Most of the time you can get them for $15 or less! I have a pile of them! Take a can of brake cleaner spray it in there....compressd air to blow it out! After you see no more red coming out...jus the brake cleaner____Then go the other way...use a hole in one of the nipples add a funeel and pour some new clean tanrs fluid in there...THen blow it out agin...That way you should be nice and clean...and you left a light layer of trans fluid in there...

Red/brake cleaner/Red that way you know you have cycled thru the tubes!

btrapr

Do not forget to look at A/C evaperators (they typically handle 250psi in an A/C system....Some of these really BEEFY! I am picking one up my cousin took out of a custoemrs car after he twisted one of the fittings trying to work on it at home!

Here is a pic of what I have picked up so far...

I am adding the double fan to my M1008 and eliminating the fan altogether...also adding an external oil with an inline extra oil filter so my oil capactity should go up around 3/4 quart! i am also adding a transmission cooler as I just put in a 700r4 OD unit. The cooler oil/trans fluid limits wear due to heat breaking down the oil...kind of like an intercooler benefits a turbo motor...

There is a white piece of 8.5"x11" paper for size comparison! The far left is from a late model Fford V-8 truck with bright red fluid! The one that looks like a small radiator tanks and all ame form a 5cyl turbo diesel Mercedes, other from Explorers... I paid $20 for the dual fan set-up and aorund $12-$15 each for the rest.

Good Luck

Attachments

btrapr

please ignore all of my typos...I should have typed slower!

As far as cost...The one form the V-8 Ford truck had two long piece of tubing I was able to get loose, so I will be using as much of it as possible then flaring the ends of my cuts a little and adding hose clamps!

So if you go the juckyard route its definately real cheap! probably only around $25 installed! IF you are real lucky and find a earlier Sububran or truck you can probably find a cooler that is READY to bolt up the the radiator support without making brackets.

I am going to have lines made for the oil cooler, so I will have all new lines with fittings to prevent leaks and make for a cleaner install:driver:

grayw0lf

B&M makes some nice coolers. I believe they are the "stacked plate" type. They're much tougher than the older Hayden-type models. If you anticipate the possibility of any sort of rocks/sticks coming from the road or wherever, go with the stacked plate design.