• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Filter Inspection Finding

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For reference I just changed my old ATF fluid and filters. It’s been about 8 years and 30,000 miles on that fluid and filter. And the fluid and filters were super clean, barely anything on the drain plug magnets and like mentioned earlier only the finest of particles could be seen in just the right light. Compared to the axle drain plug magnets the transmission was spotless.
Installed Transynd 668. It has drain intervals of 300,000 miles in general duty and 150,000 in server duty transmissions.

Skyhawk13205

Took apart my PTO today found some wear on the clutch housing input gear, also found some endplay on the clutch housing. I cannot find a spec for endplay or if that is normal.746AC4A8-1CAF-4428-935D-02FDE135B350.jpeg85FA95B1-47C6-4834-8989-3B06CFC45454.jpeg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to my eye like they ran the edge of the gear against the hobbing cutter with the spindle speed turned up to chamfer it. I don't see how you get a radial pattern on a spinning spur gear inside that PTO. Unless there's some mechanism I'm not envisioning at work here. It's looks too uniform and the wrong orientation for a spinning gear rubbing against something. Also not shiny enough. Looks like it's been through some post machine processing - tumbling or coating or?

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to my eye like they ran the edge of the gear against the hobbing cutter with the spindle speed turned up to chamfer it. I don't see how you get a radial pattern on a spinning spur gear inside that PTO. Unless there's some mechanism I'm not envisioning at work here. It's looks too uniform and the wrong orientation for a spinning gear rubbing against something. Also not shiny enough. Looks like it's been through some post machine processing - tumbling or coating or?
I am no machinist, though it struck me the same way. The gouges are running perpendicular to the rotation, not with it. Those didn't happen inside a spinning PTO–

Skyhawk13205

Thanks for everyone’s input, it has been hard to find a culprit, I need to take the clutch housing off to see if there is any wear there. When I took apart the PTO the same contaminates I found in the filter were in the housing. Brass shavings, ferrous flakes, and brass particles suspended in the oil. Looking how the system works it gets lubed from the transmission lube filter and returns to the sump. I have been using this manual (see attached)for reference, I found it easier to follow than the TM.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks