• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission fluid psi

blindowner

Hello again,
I have a cucv that is having problem's shifting and the tm's say I need to check the transmision fluid pressure, one problem, I don't have a ste/ice tester nor am I interested in paying for one considering that the truck spends more time broken than running. So if anyone can tell me how to test the pressure without a tester than I would appreciate it. I am also interested in knowing what gear I'm operating in so that I know what gear it is skipping or not shifting to.
Any help apreciated thanks,
Blindowner

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is just a TH400 transmission. There are hundreds of service books written for it.

A good one is the Haynes Transmission guide, available at most auto parts houses.

Or any of the ATSG books (Automatic Transmission Service Group). I just bought one on epay for $25

There is a plug on the side of the tranny, Remove it and install a pressure gauge.

The reason the STE/ICE unit is called for is because that is what the military mechanics had. They use it on multiple trucks.

To find out the gear. use the shifter to put it into first. drive and shift to second, drive some more and then shift to third.

Last edited:

chuck-10

If it is slipping between shifts I would look at the line pressure.If it won't shift or late and early shift I would look at vac at the modulator or the modulator itself

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of the line pressure hookup.

Here are the "normal" pressure readings from a rebuild manual

Neutral - Brakes applied, engine at 1000 rpm - 55-70psi
Drive - Engine at curb idel Specs - 60-85psi
Drive - Brakes applied, Engine at 1000 rpm - 60-90psi
Drive "2nd" - Brakes applied Engine at 1000 rpm - 135-160psi
Reverse - Brakes applied Engine at 1000 rpm - 95-150psi
Drive Brakes applied, Engine at 1000 rpm, downshift solenoid ON - 90-110psi

Attachments

blindowner

Good day
My shifting problem is that I only note one shift, meaning that the tranny doesn't ever down shift to the first gear; it skips the second gear; it never goes into third gear; or it shifts so smoothly that I can't feel it shift. Referring to my last question, what I meant is what gear is the tranny in while the truck is being driven (in real time) so that I can know which of the four options listed earlier is the problem.

Thanks