• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission fluid

trooper632

I have put dextron III fluid in an 86 cucv. the dipstick calls for dextron II, have I screwed anything up and if not do I need to drain it all and fill it up with dextron II. Right now the cucv dosent shift into 2nd until around 25-27 mph, which seems to be to high of an rpm, and then into 3rd around 45mph. when it does shift its a very hard shift, had to put about a gallon of the atf in it when I first got it, but it doesnt leak anywhere.

CCATLETT1984

dexron 3 is compatible with dexron 2 stuff.

has the level dropped any since you added?

you dont say if you have a blazer or a pickup, that seems a bit high for a blazer though and WAY high for a pickup. ( I hit 2nd @15mph)

Somemedic

Adjust the shift point by loosening the actuator on the side of the IP. I believe it points a little forward and if you back the 2 screws out, rotate the actuator more forward, and then tighten the screws up it will drop the points at which the tranny shifts. Looks like a black plastic doohickey with a couple of screws on it with oblong holes for adjusting. A couple of rubber tubes (vaccuum hoses) run into it.

This is of course considering you dont have a vaccuum leak which will throw the shift points off...

AJMBLAZER

Dexron II superceded Dexron I in all applications. It's an improved product and works everywhere I did.

Dexron III superceded Dexron II in all...

Dexron IV...III...

etc etc etc.

tlm47201

Re: RE: transmission fluid

Actually, its the opposite. Forward delays shifts, backward makes them sooner.

Somemedic said:
Adjust the shift point by loosening the actuator on the side of the IP. I believe it points a little forward and if you back the 2 screws out, rotate the actuator more forward, and then tighten the screws up it will drop the points at which the tranny shifts. Looks like a black plastic doohickey with a couple of screws on it with oblong holes for adjusting. A couple of rubber tubes (vaccuum hoses) run into it.

This is of course considering you dont have a vaccuum leak which will throw the shift points off...

1956_4x4

Like was mentioned above, check for vacuum leaks. The vacuum hoses on many of these trucks are shot since many still have the original rubber hoses.

Smitty

trooper632

It was a broken vacume hose that went to the side of the ip. cut off the break and slid it back on, shifts like a new one. thanks for the replys guys saved me alot of time.