Transmission hard upshift

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

fpchief

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be alot of posts on the Allison shifting hard on downshifts. But not finding much on hard upshifts. The shift from 1-2 is pretty hard....shakes the seats and may be normal but I am looking for a way to make it a little easier. A shift that hard cant be good for the joints.

Kbarnes0

There seems to be alot of posts on the Allison shifting hard on downshifts. But not finding much on hard upshifts. The shift from 1-2 is pretty hard....shakes the seats and may be normal but I am looking for a way to make it a little easier. A shift that hard cant be good for the joints.
What fluid are you running? How long since the service? I've had had a few that were soft shifters and ran Delo 15W40 in and it helped out. 1-2 soft was pretty stout, especially when cold. Maybe a lighter oil may help soften it up.

Elijah95

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M923A2 had the same issue, adjusted the TV cable for the tranny and properly lubricated it, big difference but still snappy. These trucks weren’t meant to be driven unloaded, and shift substantially different with an actual load on them. Just don’t be one of the guys to swap to ATF trying to coax a smoother shift out of the truck, it’s not the correct route.

With the truck off, The TV cable should be adjusted correctly and snap back immediately if you crack the throttle by hand and let off, if it doesn’t, spray it with Aerokroil, PB or something and work it, spray, repeat. It took me over 100x to get mine loose and when it did it made all the difference in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fpchief

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fully serviced it when I got it about 8 months ago. Put in dex III.
What fluid are you running? How long since the service? I've had had a few that were soft shifters and ran Delo 15W40 in and it helped out. 1-2 soft was pretty stout, especially when cold. Maybe a lighter oil may help soften it up.
Fully serviced it when I got it about 8 months ago. It had dex in it (was brown but smelled like atf) so that's what I put back in it. It does act about the same hot or cold.

fpchief

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M923A2 had the same issue, adjusted the TV cable for the tranny and properly lubricated it, big difference but still snappy. These trucks weren’t meant to be driven unloaded, and shift substantially different with an actual load on them. Just don’t be one of the guys to swap to ATF trying to coax a smoother shift out of the truck, it’s not the correct route.

With the truck off, The TV cable should be adjusted correctly and snap back immediately if you crack the throttle by hand and let off, if it doesn’t, spray it with Aerokroil, PB or something and work it, spray, repeat. It took me over 100x to get mine loose and when it did it made all the difference in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will definitely give it a shot, the one I rode in pulling M198's around back in the day definitely did not shift like this...loaded or not. But I dont know if it was an A1 or A2...didn't care to know back then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks