• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission help

pizzaworld

Hi
My automatic 3spd transmission is shifting so beautifully perfect...but it's SO aggravating only being able to go 50 mph without revving the engine so high. Here are my questions:

1.) the thong will go 65 or 70 but isn't that high revving hard on a diesel?

2.) what are my options, do it yourself style...I've got access to a tranny lift and got a lot of good tools but haven't done anything like a tranny swap. Basically I wanna be able to go 75 with the engine revving low. Like 5 hour road trip low. I wanna hit the road and cruise and not feel like the engine's revving high at all.

Thanks so much.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.126365,-86.805560

Westech

CPL
Change the gears in the axles. I take it your talking about a M1008 here. Go to a 3.73 or even a 3.42

and you do know you can go and edit your first post right?

treessw

welcome to the site!!! Westech is right about the gear changing in the axles. You can lift and run a bigger tire but your def not going to get close on your speed even with a 37" tire. Where in nashville are you?

Just saw your map, I know exactly where you are

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

NV4500 all the way for best swap option.

Ill drive at 65 in my truck stock. I like the noise :)
Enjoy the right lane, its a completely different ride

treessw

I work in nashvegas, drink in the village live outside of nashville. You can get gears on line or head down to 4 wheel parts on nolensville rd, talk to eric. They can get just about anything. Lower gear higher speed but less pulling. you wont want to run oversize tires either. 3.73 would bee a good all around or even a 3.55. It is all do-able, just need time, patience and tools. Hope this helps

DrJekl

I put a gear vendor overdrive in my 1031. I can run 65-70 no problem now. My next step is to swap the TH400 with a 4L80E as soon as I can afford a stand alone computer for it. That will give me a double overdrive and I should be able to drive it at light speed!

My original path was to do a gear swap. The 14 bolt is a fairly easy gear swap and not real expensive to do. I fell into a Gear vendor kit with a Dodge 205 case for $800 complete and working. The long pole in the tent was the drive shaft and swapping the tail end of my 205 for the tail end of the Dodge 205 as the GV kit went on the non slip yolk Dodge 205. Everything swapped out just fine. The drive shaft was $100 so I have some time and $900 in it right now. My main concern with the gear swap is the low horse power in the diesel. You kind of need the 4.56 gears to make up for low power but need the higher 3.73 gear on the road to keep her on the highway without blowing the engine up.

pizzaworld

Nv4500 is looking good to me. Any links to existing replacement forums someone's been kind enough to share?

What are the advantages/disadvantage of overdrive?

How is it better/worse than a transmission replacement?

I don't understand overdrive.

Thanks!

Iceman3005

your cheapest option is too install a 700r4, I put one in mine, all the parts including buying trans came too 400 dollars. I can run 70-75 down freeway now and have a lower first gear for pulling loads. There is a lot of aftermarket parts available also for these trans, and there cheap to rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks