• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission install

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any tips and secret info to installing a m35 trans mission?
I have it up in close.
But just can't seam to get the pilot bearing and splines lined up.
Thanks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use a clutch alignment tool? Also may help to cut the heads off some long bolts and use them to help align the transmission.

V8srfun

when installing a transmission sometimes you need to get aggressive with the push and wiggle. I have never seen a manual transmission just slide in to place without a little persuasion.

fpchief

If the clutch is aligned, it is just a matter of as V8srfun said....push and wiggle! I did mine 100% by myself and once aligned, I got under it and pushed up with my knees and feet...all of a sudden it just slammed in place. The flywheel was harder I think.

MG2936

What I do is jack up the back of the truck utill the drive line is paralled with the ground. (about 6 inches on the rear axle) If you are using a trans. jack or a chainfall it slides in much easier.

DB556

I pulled the floor panels, and made a frame out of 4x4s that sat on the floor in the cab then I used a chain hoist to pull it up from below, I took some longer bolts and put them in two of the side mounting holes to help it stay straight then with some use of my knees, and some swearing I got it to pop in.

Though that being said for such a big transmission it went in easier than the NV5400 in my jeep wrangler.