• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Locked Up

Truckie

I was using my Deuce winch to drag logs out of my back yard and things were going fine until I backed out. It was a tight space with the remaining trees & stone wall, so a few of 1st/reverse maneuvers…:doh:
I had not heard of the reverse -1st rule and managed to lock up my transmission. The shift lever was stuck in the third gear position and would not move. After reading the SS posts and reading the Transmission manual, I jacked the rear tires to take the tension off the transfer and transmission and was able to shift the transfer to neutral. Then I took off the shifter shaft cover. First and Seconds gears were engaged- not good. The forks looked good; no bent or broken pieces. The shift lever had jumped the end of the fork and was jammed against the Interlock Plate. Even with the Cover off the transmission I could not move the shift lever from the 3rd gear position. By working the interlock plate with a flat blade screw driver and moving the forks, I was able to realign the Forks, Plate and gear shift lever to neutral.
The second/third fork shifter shaft guide (part of the cast cover) on the forward end is cracked; I probably should replace the cover…any suggestions?
Thanks for this site – it has been a godsend.
Thinking of my uncle who was a waist gunner on a B-24 shot down after a raid on Munich, July 1944. After the Munich raid he was a POW for the remainder of the war. He never spoke of it until he was in his eighties…

Attachments

ctmustang

I would probably just pick up a good used tranny to use for parts or go ahead and install it and use the broken one for future parts. Or you could just buy the part you need.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The second/third fork shifter shaft guide (part of the cast cover) on the forward end is cracked; I probably should replace the cover…any suggestions?
I would definitely suggest replacing the complete cover assembly. You shouldn't have much difficulty in locating another cover.

Truckie

An earlier post refered to the "rule" as pausing between First and Reverse; other posts suggest double clutching; I was probably rushing things when I caused the problem...
I am able to move the truck now and will try it on the road later this week when I know I have time for a repair (if it occurs again)!

Truckie

I have a spare top cover, I can send you for about $75.
I am going to look for a complete cover with forks, plate, etc.; how much would that run? How much of an effort is it to move all the components to a stripped cover?
Thanks for the offer!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get the top, you should get the forks etc. If someone goes to the trouble of removing them, they are ripping you off and not helping themselves either. The top should come with all the forks.

Yarz

Did the new top plate/forks solve the issue? This sounds exactly like what happened to me last night. After hours of looking, moving, pushing, and lightly prying, I found that the shifter can get out of the slots in the fork, and slide BETWEEN the 2/3 fork and the 4/5 fork

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks