• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Module won't light up, preventing normal engine start.

Erik Erickson

Hi All,
I just purchased a 2003 M1078A1 from Govplanet. Upon delivery it was said that the Transmission Control Module may have an issue. I charged up all 4 batteries successfully. With the normal start up procedure, it would not start. Dash lights came on normally. I removed the starter relay, jumpered it, and the engine fired right up with the push button on the dash. I heard the transmission control module may be the problem. I pressed some buttons on the transmission module to see if it was operational without the display, but no luck. Nothing worked. I shut down the engine and came in to post here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check all the connections between the display and the WTEC. Check breakers feeding the WTEC. Check connections plugged into WTEC. If everything checks out, send your WTEC for diagnostics to Transmissioninstruments.com. Yes the WTEC must be alive to allow engine cranking.

Ronmar

CB 79 provides 24V ignition to P116-4 on the controller under the passenger dash. CB 43 provides 24V battery power, to P115 pins 1 and 16 At the controller…

and as mentioned, lift the dash panel and check the connector at the keypad also…

Erik Erickson

Check all the connections between the display and the WTEC. Check breakers feeding the WTEC. Check connections plugged into WTEC. If everything checks out, send your WTEC for diagnostics to Transmissioninstruments.com. Yes the WTEC must be alive to allow engine cranking.
[/QUO
CB 79 provides 24V ignition to P116-4 on the controller under the passenger dash. CB 43 provides 24V battery power, to P115 pins 1 and 16 At the controller…

and as mentioned, lift the dash panel and check the connector at the keypad also…
Thank you both for responding!

I don't know what P116-4 is on the controller, but I'll look under the dash for it. The kick-panel at passengers feet?
I was also noticed CB66 which also mentions the Trans ECU. Should I be concerned about this one as well?

So if I understand correctly...
1. Check the CB79 and CB43 to ensure they are functioning correctly in the panel.
2. Check the controller under the dash for P116-4 and P115 pins 1 and 16 to ensure they are getting power.
3. Remove Steering Wheel
4. Remove Dash to access Trans Control Module (WTEC)
5. Check WTEC connections
6. Reassemble

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi All,
I just purchased a 2003 M1078A1 from Govplanet. Upon delivery it was said that the Transmission Control Module may have an issue. I charged up all 4 batteries successfully. With the normal start up procedure, it would not start. Dash lights came on normally. I removed the starter relay, jumpered it, and the engine fired right up with the push button on the dash. I heard the transmission control module may be the problem. I pressed some buttons on the transmission module to see if it was operational without the display, but no luck. Nothing worked. I shut down the engine and came in to post here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi Erik,

Welcome to the outfit and your new adventure in ownership of a big green truck! Seems to me that the guys have you headed off in the right direction. Be sure to download the TMs (Technical Manuals) for your "new to you" truck. Lots of troubleshooting information in those crusty boring books. The Allison WTEC manuals are also available for download too.

Ronmar

Under the passenger dash you will find the wtecIII controller. It has 3 plugs on it. They should have metal tags/bands around the wire bundle on them identifying them. On the III the keypad is just that, a pushbutton user interface. You shouldn’t have to remove the wheel, just loosen the adjuster knob on the left side and pull it up as far as it will go and tilt it as far back as far as it will go(tilts and has about 3” of height adjustment for driver comfort). Then you can lift the dash far enough to access the keypad connector…

not sure about cb66, let me look it up…

EDIT: CB 66 is for blackout lighting… not sure if that interacts with the display lighting, but it would not effect the ability to operate, only the ability to see the display…

Last edited:

Erik Erickson

Under the passenger dash you will find the wtecIII controller. It has 3 plugs on it. They should have metal tags/bands around the wire bundle on them identifying them. On the III the keypad is just that, a pushbutton user interface. You shouldn’t have to remove the wheel, just loosen the adjuster knob on the left side and pull it up as far as it will go and tilt it as far back as far as it will go(tilts and has about 3” of height adjustment for driver comfort). Then you can lift the dash far enough to access the keypad connector…

not sure about cb66, let me look it up…

EDIT: CB 66 is for blackout lighting… not sure if that interacts with the display lighting, but it would not effect the ability to operate, only the ability to see the display…
OK, great info. I'll post with updates.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tcm gets fried when you try to jump start with dead batts. Its under dash behind the passenger kick. I have replacements.
So, Will... Does that add another reason to drive these vehicles regularly?
Or maybe if you can't do that or don't have time - maybe a trickle charger on the batteries over the winter?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
For some reason when you jump a truck with dead batts it spikes the wtec3 tcm. Dosnt seem to do it to the wtec2 trucks. You can charge dead batts and its fine its the “batts stone dead and jump start the truck without letting the batteries get any charge”

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For some reason when you jump a truck with dead batts it spikes the wtec3 tcm. Dosnt seem to do it to the wtec2 trucks. You can charge dead batts and its fine its the “batts stone dead and jump start the truck without letting the batteries get any charge”
Thank you sir!