• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission oil sample leak

sargentwolf

Raised the cab yesterday, found oil had sprayed all over the lower passanger side of the engine. I think it's coming from where the oil sampling port hose attaches to the transmission oil line.

Does anyone know the size fitting so I can just cap it off? I want to remove both the hose and the 90 degree fitting as I think both went bad.

The leak doesn't happen at idle, only when under load in drive. So pretty hard to replicate and being under the engine. Attached a pic of where the oil seems to be coming from.20160819_104847.jpg

mainer

I believe it is 1/4" flare nut cap. on the elbow or 1/4 pipe plug if you want to lose the elbow as well. Could be wrong but I had to cap mine on the road trying to find the leak under load. I am now focused on the oil cooler fittings as it looks as though the cooling fan has very nicely oil under coated the truck! Good luck. Jeff

sargentwolf

Sweet! I'm hoping it's that fitting and not the oil cooler..... my fan did the same thing but I'm hoping the leak is misting and the fan is painting with the mist.

sargentwolf

Removed the oil sampling hose and fittings. It's not a 1/4 pipe, it's a goofy automotive one.

Since oil is everywhere I can't tell what the now oil fog that's ever where is coming from, new leak or oil burning off. Getting engine degreased at truck wash.

Fun fun fun! At least it's in the low 80s

sargentwolf

20160821_134112.jpg

This little punk was the issue. Getting a new hose made, it was the leak.

They degreased most of the engine, missed the worst of the oil inside the frame rail.

coachgeo

....image....

This little punk was the issue. Getting a new hose made, it was the leak.

They degreased most of the engine, missed the worst of the oil inside the frame rail.
Was going to recommend some of the oil leak trace products available now but looks like you found the leak. Congrats on that. What hose is that?

sargentwolf

That's the transmission sampling hose. Coupled into the oil line @ the cooler fitting. Removing for now, I might get a spare made, still on the fence due to Mr Murphy.

With it having already failed like this with nothing near the flipping thing, kinda don't want to put it there again.