• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Opinions

rustystud

V belts are very inefficient at transferring power to the accessories on the belt so I've seen claims that you can gain several HP to the wheels for every v belt you replace with a more efficient serpentine belt that isn't going to be slipping. I think a 10-20hp gain from eliminating all the v belts is a reasonable gain although most/all of that will be lost to the extra weight of the 37s.

Actually manufactures went to serpentine belts for cost reasons. It's much cheaper to just use one belt compared to 4 or 5 belts like they did in the late 1980's early 1990's. They cannot handle heavy loads though. So on our busses for example the hydraulic pump is still driven by a pair of "V" belts as is the air conditioner pump. As for the "claims" that you gain more power using the serpentine belts is in my opinion just sales hype. Though they do have the "cool" factor .