• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Options?

Corvette1974

Howdy all,

I have done some searching on the forum and there are some answers, but not really directly related to this topic. I have no issues with the current transmission in my A2, don't plan on doing anything crazy...but are there any drop-in-ish options for a real OTR transmission (unsynchronized) that would work with the deuce size/fitment wise?

Totally a random topic, but it is something to think about.

-Will

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not really. The length is an issue. Waterloo specialties has made an upgrade to the internals, might check out the website for specifics.

rustystud

Howdy all,

I have done some searching on the forum and there are some answers, but not really directly related to this topic. I have no issues with the current transmission in my A2, don't plan on doing anything crazy...but are there any drop-in-ish options for a real OTR transmission (unsynchronized) that would work with the deuce size/fitment wise?

Totally a random topic, but it is something to think about.

-Will
Why would you want an "unsynchronized" transmission ? They haven't built one of them for decades now.

snowtrac nome

I think you would have a hard time squeezing in a double counter shaft transmission you might look at the 6 speed eaton used in older f800 trucks is a little longer a t case relocation would be needed but I think other wise it would fit. you would get 5 close ratio gears with one overdrive.

Corvette1974

I think you would have a hard time squeezing in a double counter shaft transmission you might look at the 6 speed eaton used in older f800 trucks is a little longer a t case relocation would be needed but I think other wise it would fit. you would get 5 close ratio gears with one overdrive.
Now this is the kind of options that I'd be looking for! Like I said, my transmission is mint right now, but I figure if the sucker ever goes, maybe an upgrade is due. An option to consider... They made a million of those trucks so I'm sure they are out there.

-Will

rustystud

As in a transmission from a Class 8 type truck. Our Mack R Model has a 9 speed and it runs out great, and effectively shifts faster than the 3053a. No synchros there.

-Will
OK, your talking about a "constant mesh" transmission like the Eaton/Fuller "RoadRanger" transmission. In fact the "Mack R" series used the Fuller 9 speed RoadRanger. They are not a non-synchronized transmission like the old 1950's/1960's units. They need to be double/clutched and "split" range shifted. These units do have some synchros in the "splitter box" . Personally I never liked the old RoadRanger "crash boxes" . Thankfully they are no longer used.
View attachment Scan0249.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks