• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission problem

tankie88

My transmission changes up to 2nd no prob but won't change to 3rd until i take the revs off to tickover.As soon as i apply a fraction of foot pressure to the pedal it changes to 2nd.No other probs in any other gears.Anyone got any ideas?????

truck1

Vacuum leak in the lines between modulator at tranny and IP. That is the easiest thing to check for initially. Pull the hose at the modulator with engine running put finger over hose and feel for vacuum. While not as precise as a vacuum gauge, no vacuum or very little could mean a leak. I had the same problem as you describe and it was a rub through in the rigid tubing at the firewall. Just spliced in a rubber tube with clamps. Been fine ever since. Good luck.

WARWAG

The absolute first thing you should do is change your vacuum lines. Dont forget the 1" length under your truck going to your trans regulator. Even if they are not the problem you will have new hoses that are not 25+ years old. This will set you back a couple of dollars in vacuum lines/hose. My vacuum leak was from the lines on top of the engine. The factory hard line was defective and had a long thin tapper in the end instead of the standard diameter. As the line dried out it lost its seal. After I changed all the hoses the transmission shifted like new to this day. You are describing the exact same problem I had. The next problem will be the regulator which I believe is about $75. Good luck.

Last edited:

tankie88

Right,today I disconnected the vac line at the modulator.It didn't seem to be much sucking going on.So I disconnected the line that goes to the vac thingy on the IP from the vac pump.That was sucking more.I connected it back up and tested the sucking on the vac thingy on the IP.That was sucking the same as down on the modulator.I also drove with the IP vac thingy bypassed.That made no difference.So could the IP vac thingy be defect????

Ronbo

Direct/ forward clutch Pack.. Pull the trans , stand it up on end . Pull the pump and remove the clutch packs . just watch how it comes out . replace the seals and clutches .( you'll see if any are burnt) should hold you for a while . Its really not hard to do , easier than you think..

Ronbo

PS I should have also said , drop the pan and see what it looks like . If its got black stuff or metal shavings that will answer the question . also if the seal is bad B?T the trans and transfer case the fluid from the trans and go into the transfer case and make the trans fluid low..

tankie88

Well,looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet.I now have no reverse(engages but slips) and the same on 3rd.Grrrrr.The oil is all black and smelling burnt.

Last edited: