• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission problems 4 speed.

Hi guys and gals,
I'm still having problems with my 2004 M1097a2 4 speed transmission, the issue was it would randomly drop gear, hunt between gears and not change to top or lock in the torque converter. This happens either if I hit a hard bump (which is pretty easy with the HD springs on the M1097s) or when I accelerate hard.
I have jumper wire diagnosed the issue and it flags up the 71 fault code which is an engine speed sensor (crank shaft) fault. I have followed the trouble shooting guide and checked resistance across the speed sensor plug which was fine, checked continuity from the h pin to the plug and this was fine too. I decided to change out the speed sensor and it has improved things but it is still not 100% and the trans light keeps illuminating. On a test drive it still randomly can not decide which gear to select and will change down then up the down again then will settle on a gear if I slow down.
Any suggestions I'm at a loss now. How can I check if there is a fault with the crank shaft gear which works with the sensor??
Thanks

springer1981

Hi guys and gals,
I'm still having problems with my 2004 M1097a2 4 speed transmission, the issue was it would randomly drop gear, hunt between gears and not change to top or lock in the torque converter. This happens either if I hit a hard bump (which is pretty easy with the HD springs on the M1097s) or when I accelerate hard.
I have jumper wire diagnosed the issue and it flags up the 71 fault code which is an engine speed sensor (crank shaft) fault. I have followed the trouble shooting guide and checked resistance across the speed sensor plug which was fine, checked continuity from the h pin to the plug and this was fine too. I decided to change out the speed sensor and it has improved things but it is still not 100% and the trans light keeps illuminating. On a test drive it still randomly can not decide which gear to select and will change down then up the down again then will settle on a gear if I slow down.
Any suggestions I'm at a loss now. How can I check if there is a fault with the crank shaft gear which works with the sensor??
Thanks
Based on your description, I would be inclined to look for a wire issue, intermittent short, ground or bad connection in the crank sensor circuit. I wouldn't go after the gear since it would be unlikely to be damaged.

Thanks, I too am thinking a wiring fault. As it's not all the time and related to bumps. It all started when I fitted new batteries, but I have been through the wiring in the battery box.
I'll clean the plugs and retest the wiring as you have both said.
Thanks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It uses the same TCM as the civy 4L80 so should not be too expensive, it should have a number on the TCM something like 24230461.
There are 1000 TCMs for sale on Fleabay at this time listed under the example part number.
The tuning might be a little different from TCM to TCM but there are tons of them listed for under $40

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys and gals,
Thanks
Pull the plug where it goes into the case and look for fluid.....dry=good....wet=bad.... my 2 cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks