• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Problems

graham

When I bought the truck about a year ago when you go to shift into fifth gear it would jump out of gear. I put new synchronizers in it but it still jumps out of fifth gear but I noticed when I put the parts on the shaft were loose. Could the shaft be bad and causing it to jump out of gear?

Jeepsinker

I wouldn't suspect the shaft as the problem first. I would check shift forks for wear, check the roller bearings where the mainshaft pilot rides on rollers inside the back of the input shaft, and maybe the Dogs and dog springs on fifth.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the forks do not hold any gear engaged in this trans by design, remember this is really old trans. also the syncro dogs are cut straight, not on any angle like modern trans are. what holds the trans in 5th is a feature machined in only one side of the spline on the front of the main shaft. some are cut deeper than others. it should only try to come out on decel. pulling it should try to engage. what holds 2 and 3 in gear is the feature cut in the middle of the hub that 2/3 syncro is on. some of these are also much deeper cut than others so work much better.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks