• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Question

Nuke113

The transmission in my M1028 has been acting odd lately when I first got it I dropped the pan and changed the filter, fast forward 4 months and best I can tell the pump starts whining and the shifts get sloppy. After some reading I changed all the rubber vacuum lines and replaced the filter again after which the truck immediately went back to normal with slightly later shifts from the vacuum adjustments the filter was also the same as the original replacement. Got a month out of it this time before the pump whine started and this time lost 3rd gear the same day the pump started whining, ordered a different brand filter, replace refill she drives good as new now again????

The truck is my daily driver and does a fair bit of 50mph running everyday when it is running and when dropping the pan both times there appeared to be small droplets of water in the bottom but no large chunks of anything and the magnet was relatively clean. So I'm just curious if I have been getting bad filters causing starvation, some sort of coolant leak, or the trans itself is just on the way out?

Thanks,
Thomas

dependable

The only way I think it could get water is a leak in transmission oil cooling tube in radiator, unless you are going puddle jumping. Any sign of tranny fluid in radiator? Pump whining is probably due to fluid starvation of some sort. If you have heard it whining it may already be damaged, and it might be time to look into a rebuild.

MarcusOReallyus

Try replacing all the fluid. When you change a filter, you get a small portion of the fluid changed, and then it works for a bit, right? So you have old fluid which has lost the ability to provide the correct friction coefficients, I"m thinking. When you add a bit of new stuff, it gets you going for a while, but that quickly breaks down because it's being mixed with old, bad stuff. So, replace ALL of it.

I recently did this on another vehicle, as a desperation measure because I thought the trans was toast. I cut the cooling line, and added a section of rubber trans line to take the output of the trans down into a drain pan. Then start your engine, and pour in ATF as fast as it's pumping out. Continue until you have fresh, clean fluid coming out. Shut down, replace cooling line, and evaluate your fluid level. Add or subtract as needed.

You need two people minimum, and three is better. One to pour the fluid, one to watch the output, and one to operate the engine on command.

After doing this, I have put about 15k miles on the trans with ZERO slipping, including towing some heavy loads.

It's worth a try. The worst you can do is trash the trans. :mrgreen:

Seriously, for the cost of the new fluid, you may resurrect a trans. As long as you don't do something stupid (like run it dry), the only risk is the cost of the fluid and an hour of your time.

:beer:

Nuke113

The radiator had a oil layer on it when I got the truck, I flushed the coolant and it has not gotten back to how it was but is kinda hard to tell whether the small amounts you see is residual or new. I might try that Marcus if I pull the cooling lines would give me a chance to pressure test that side of the radiator anyway though the price of tranny fluid is quickly approaching the cost of a rebuild kit lol.

rebelreck

If there is an oil layer in the radiator, I would bypass that tranny cooler all together. get a large aftermarket cooler, change the fluid as Marcus suggested. I learned the hard way, not to trust a questionable trans cooler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks