• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission question

tourus

first if some could point me in the right direction with the TM'S I would look for an answer or to the trouble shooting section. but here is what it stared doing a few days ago. with slight throttle pressure it wants to down shift into second gear "passing" .let off throttle shifts back into third and is fine. the transmission was rebuilt about a year ago. been great since. check fluid it is good very slight tint to. first second shift is good and firm second to third is firm put in reverse it goes right in. when check fluid cold sitting all night it is a little high and slight dark. check hot it is good and is still red and kind of hard to see. well start throwing more questions and or statements will try to answer.

Mg84648

Look under the dash at the "kick down" detent switch attached to the accelerator arm. It sounds like it is out of adjustment. When the switch is made it sends 12 volts to energize the detent solenoid in the tranny. That controls your kick down.

Skinny

Sounds like that...

Are your shifts firm under normal driving? Mine shifts butter smooth unless you are to the floor. Just thinking possible vaccuum bleed (not completely gone yet) or a misadjusted valve on the IP causing compiling problems.

tourus

well I will have to check the vacuum hoses on the IP pump hook them direct to the nipples instead of though that other piece. have replaced it when rebuilt trans.

tourus

well tried a couple of things with no luck to get it to shift correctly. parked the truck last night went to go to store and get fuel truck wont not move rev engine with no luck. acted as if real low on fluid but I had checked the level before started for the day. so this afternoon I pulled the oil pan off yup have to pull trans this week end. the pan was real dark and had fair amount of sluge in bottom and the magnet was covered. so will pull out rebuild again YUCK !!!

MarcusOReallyus

the pan was real dark and had fair amount of sluge in bottom and the magnet was covered. so will pull out rebuild again YUCK !!!

How many miles since you last rebuilt it?

I had a similar problem on my Jeep. Did not have time or money to rebuild it then, so I flushed the old fluid and fixed it that way. Here's how:

First, I cut the trans cooler line coming from the trans to the radiator, then added a section of rubber hose so that the fluid would go from the trans into a bucket. While the engine idled, I added new fluid down the dipstick tube as fast as it came out of the rubber hose. (This works better with a helper or two!)

Once helper #1 said it was all coming out nice and clean, I told helper #2 to shut it down. Then I used a short section of rubber hose to splice the cooler line back together. Fired it up, checked the level, and I've been driving it for about 20,000 miles now. Some of that towing heavy loads, some while towing on rough country back roads in snow. Lots of it on my commute which means an hour at varying speeds from 70 to stop & go traffic. In other words, a good workout. No problems since I flushed it, but I think I'm going to do it again soon.

It took all of a half hour and a couple gallons of ATF. Oh, and a couple bucks worth of hose and clamps that I had around.

It's worth a try.

tourus

so yesterday I pulled the trans out of the truck and sure enough the clutches are all burnt. so today put all new clutches in and put the trans back together and got it back into the truck. went for a test drive and all seems well at this time. the trans shifted twice and was able to maintain 55 mph up a few hills on the test drive with down shifting into second gear. like it was doing. but know it is just shifting a little early so have to adjust the senor on the IP pump. to make it hold first a little longer. it is shifting into second at about 10mph. and into third at about 20mph. so it does seem to be "pulling " at lot to get up to speed 55mph or so. the truck really does not like any thing over that due to the fact when let off it surges until back down to 55ish

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks