• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission question

bkwudzhom

Would it be possible to add a second manual transmission to give the M1008 a manual over drive? Kinda like the gearvendors deal but a lot cheaper.
Just brainstorming a bit.

Cucvnut

Fred from petersons 4 wheel and off road put an over drive infront of his 465. in his m37 wheeler. i can find out what kit he used if you want.

bkwudzhom

It would be intresting to learn about it. I was thinking that if their was a way to use a simple 3-4 spd manual tranny from an old farm truck. Could I overdrive the th400 and then change gears and have an even lower gear for moving real heavy loads?

dburd72

swap in a r700 its is just a turbo w an overdrive added just make shure you get the proper converter and set the tv cable right later units were called 4l80s

vrietscha

700R4 trans.

700R4 trans wouldn't be BAD but, it is not a predecessor to the 4L80E. The 4L60E is actually the sucessor to the 700R4. Picture the 700R4 as a transmission for a 6000lb gvw truck and the 4L80E as a transmission for a 8000lb gvw truck. That's how the naming scheme went anyways.