• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission ready to grenade?

russ132

Hi all, while driving home from picking up my deuce it began to develop a hard knocking while in fifth gear. This only happened when under load and not while coasting. From what I have read it seems that Fifth gear is about to go with the lower gears following shortly after. If any of you have any other thoughts on this or a spare transmission in the Ohio area for sale I would greatly appreciate it. The good news is that I was able to get it all the way home. Thanks everyone.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost 5th gear in my Deuce a while back. It started making a rattling sound when accelerating or especially under deceleration where the noise was louder. No load conditions resulted in no noise. Mine started shelling teeth on 5th gear, but I was able to limp home. I swapped out the transmission rather than repair it. There are plenty of take-outs for a reasonable price. I went ahead and replaced the clutch at the same time. I don't know if you have a winch or not, but if you do, make sure you have plenty of gaskets for the PTO. Mine took a total of six gaskets to gain the proper clearance. My NOS transmission gasket kit only contained one gasket. Fortunately these are easy to find at places that service large trucks with PTOs as the size is standard.

russ132

That sounds like my transmission. Fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it I do not have a winch. I would love one, just not yet. That you for the info. Hopefully I can find a takeout soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I might have a non over drive trans. Is it possible to pull the fifth gear out of an O/D trans and put it in a 3052? I hope M35tom or GT sees this thread.

Jake0147

What is the top gear ratio on a non-overdrive transmission? Is the difference between a 3052 and a 3053 the addition of an overdrive fifth gear?
Top gear in a non-overdrive transmission is direct.

Fifth gear in the overdrive transmission occupies the physical space that would be utilized for fourth gear in a non-overdrive transmission. The remaining gears in the overdrive are divided so as to get you to direct in four steps in the overdrive model, instead of five in the direct model.

I think the parts would fit... Maybe... But you would be missing an entire gear. These trucks are not well powered anyhow by modern standards, and they really need all the gears they have. Try driving a truck without ever using fourth, just 1, 2, 3, and 5. In the overdrive trucks, it's only "a gear and a half" but it's a little taller overall, and probably will feel pretty similar. You "can" drive one that way, but it would be a big inconvenience.

FM5332FF

mine started making noise, but only in the lower gears, then it started sounding like a small man with a hammer inside banging around in all of the gears, but it never failed to move the truck. my front input bearing froze up and fuzed itself to the case then broke itself off.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have a non over drive trans. Is it possible to pull the fifth gear out of an O/D trans and put it in a 3052? ...........
Yes, it is possible! But...... keep in mind that if you don't also change out input shaft (T22 -> T29) and counter-shaft driven gear (T48 -> T42) it would remain being a 5th direct with a 4th speed closer to 5th and obviously a bigger jump from 3rd to 4th.

Here are the ratios for the 3052 and the "new" ratio for 4th after that swap.

Rev 7.36:1
1st 7.55:1
2nd 4.18:1
3rd 2.45:1
4th 1.45:1 --> 1.19:1
5th 1.00:1

G.

Attachments

russ132

Thank you for the reply JAKE0147. I have a few more questions for you. If the top gear in the non-overdrive is direct what is the top gear ratio of the overdrive model? And is this the difference between the the 3052 and the 3053? Is the overdrive model the 3053? I will be shopping and I would like to not sound like a total newbie when purchasing.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i am only in maryland and yours is easily rebuilt. take outs are cheap though, just check the turns input to output to be sure it is a 3053 (overdrive) and pull the top cover to inspect the gears for rust and broken things before buying. there is no economical way to change a 3052 into a 3053. you need 4 gears to do the change.