• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission rebuild

319cssb

Has anyone here attempted and graduated in here by rebuilding the alison transmission.
Did you document your progress?

Reworked LMTV

Oh man. You have to be very brave to work on a transmission. Did it once (not an Alison), never again! Even if you watch a video, there are tons of subtleties (problem areas) that you need to be trained on. Tight clutch packs, wrong steels, kevlar clutches vs the typical, Blah Blah blah.

1. Take it out and have some one bench build "on the side". Meaning find a Alison mechanic who does side work.
2. Grab a used good used one. Lots of people part these out.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a good tested transmission here. Still in a truck though. Would be a few weeks before i could get it out. First gen trucks have 3 different variations of trans. Whats your truck year, serial and trans serial number?

Reworked LMTV

I did a 3060P but that is almost exactly the same. It was completely worn out. Cost about $2k and then $800 for allison to test it.
Interesting. Doubt you did, but did you document the build? Would be nice to share, if you did.

Reworked LMTV

I hope it rather obvious, just how complex this is. He has rebuilt a lot of these, so it looks easy. The problem is, if you do one thing wrong, it will not shift right, and the whole thing has to come back out.

Last edited:

spankybear

I have a good tested transmission here. Still in a truck though. Would be a few weeks before i could get it out. First gen trucks have 3 different variations of trans. Whats your truck year, serial and trans serial number?
How do you take the trans out?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I usually pull the motor first on a parts truck. If a cargo truck its easier to do trans work with the bed off. Flywheel bolts, bell housing bolts, lines, driveshafts. There is a cross beam over it so you have to slide it back a bit and use straps to lower it down, spin it a bit to clear and slide out.

coachgeo

I usually pull the motor first on a parts truck. If a cargo truck its easier to do trans work with the bed off. Flywheel bolts, bell housing bolts, lines, driveshafts. There is a cross beam over it so you have to slide it back a bit and use straps to lower it down, spin it a bit to clear and slide out.
saw where someone did this with bed off..... then put cross bracing wood beams above the tranny and put a cherry picker engine puller above it. think he made it in a manner that allowed him to roll it back a bit too.

spankybear

Next question is how hard is it to get the bed off?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks