• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission seal leak

coachgeo

If you are still running engine oil in the tranny...... use UV light leak detect system . put in the detect fluid in the ENGINE.... clean the area thoroughly. run the truck till she drips again.... then check with UV light to see if it was engine oil leak. IF light does not show anything...... it would be tranny oil?

granted a seasoned mechanic might can smell it or visualy know what oil it is pretty instantly if you have already switched to automatic tranny fluid.

spankybear

If you are still running engine oil in the tranny...... use UV light leak detect system . put in the detect fluid in the ENGINE.... clean the area thoroughly. run the truck till she drips again.... then check with UV light to see if it was engine oil leak. IF light does not show anything...... it would be tranny oil?

granted a seasoned mechanic might can smell it or visualy know what oil it is pretty instantly if you have already switched to automatic tranny fluid.
Being a diesel engine... there's carbon in the engine oil and it will be black. This is not black and too clean... so its coming out out of the trans...

dmetalmiki

Don't despair!, That seal is not so hard a fix. (All?) you need do is move that gearbox back, not remove it entirely...BUT, Why not try : :

BlueDevil Transmission Sealer in your transmission to rejuvenate the front ...

spankybear

Has anybody dropped the transmission? Reading the TM it talks about a lifting bracket... is it poasble to hook that up with the trans in the truck? This sure would make it simple to use a chain hoist.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I swapped a tranny couple of months ago , wasn’t to bad. Remove the cargo bed is my advise that way you have easy access.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

coachgeo

I swapped a tranny couple of months ago , wasn’t to bad. Remove the cargo bed is my advise that way you have easy access.

loos like you had a fork lift to help though. would like to know how you did it if not w/forklift. I need to remove two (and swap good one into other.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I have a forklift , essential if you ask me. Without it properly can be done somehow but that is going to take a lot of ingenuity.

This was was my first time removing a transmission. Doing it alone with the cargo bed already removed took me a about 4 hours. But I have a forklift, u-joint puller etc.

coachgeo

harbor freight sells 2000 lb trans jack, used to be $200 on sale. very well built.
Doubt it goes high enough. Guess you would have to build a pretty tall cribbing to go between tranny jack and Trucks tranny. Would worry about stability with all the cribbing making it taller

spankybear

Make sure you have your will and advance directive filled out before using that chinese thing with the huge Allison.
Yeah I know. I did buy it and it seem well built. I am not a fan of Chinese stuff but $255.95 vs $3000.00. Hopefully I only need to use it once. I have been asking people for someone to be there is the thing fails... to call 911...

USA jack https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAY-Transmission-Jack-11N141

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks