• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission seal leaking

chicklin

I need to replace the "front seal" on the tranny on my new M1009. It is leaking fluid all over and the PO claims that the "front seal" needs replaced. Does this sound right? What's the actual part name? Also, while I have it apart, should I go ahead and replace the rear main seal, or just don't bother if it's not leaking? Think I can do this without dropping the whole tranny?

A little step-by-step on the tranny seal would be nice if anyone's done it before. Thanks!!

tourdog

the front seal of a trans is not hard to do but buy the time you get every thing unbolted it will be easer to pull out from under the blazer to put the seal in you should be able to buy the seal from napa or some other parts store when i have done front seal on trans i used a crows foot type puller just pull the old out tap new in very easy the look at torque converter for wear were the seal rides very strait forword once trans is ot the seal it self fwe mins to do rest is time consoming then it is good time to flush rest of oil have fun

OLDCHEV4X4

Wow, No punctuation makes things hard to read.
I think its called a front pump seal. Its easy to replace, but getting to it is the hard part.
Gotta pull out the transfer case and the tranny.

chicklin

OLDCHEV4X4 said:
Wow, No punctuation makes things hard to read.
I think its called a front pump seal. Its easy to replace, but getting to it is the hard part.
Gotta pull out the transfer case and the tranny.
So, it looks like I'll go ahead and drop the whole thing this weekend. What else should I do while I have it out? I only want to do this once, if possible. Rear main seal on the engine, output seals on the t-case? Should I separate the tranny and t-case or leave them together if they're not leaking? I just want to make sure and cover all the bases while I'm under there. Thanks!

Jetnoise400

If it were me, if I dropped the trans / xfer, I would indeed change out the rear main seal on the engine, as well as the transfer case rear output seal and anything else that might be easily accessible while things are apart. I don't know that I would split up the trans and xfer unless it was leaking, but on the other hand, hey, it's already on the ground... might as well freshen everything up. Prolly good to do a trans service and fluid change on the transfer too...

But that's just me, I tend to hate doing things twice, so whenever possible I tend to freshen up everything I can if I have it apart.

chicklin

Jetnoise400 said:
If it were me, if I dropped the trans / xfer, I would indeed change out the rear main seal on the engine, as well as the transfer case rear output seal and anything else that might be easily accessible while things are apart. I don't know that I would split up the trans and xfer unless it was leaking, but on the other hand, hey, it's already on the ground... might as well freshen everything up. Prolly good to do a trans service and fluid change on the transfer too...

But that's just me, I tend to hate doing things twice, so whenever possible I tend to freshen up everything I can if I have it apart.
Is there a seal between the tranny and t-case? Theoretically, there shouldn't be any fluid in there unless the rear output seal on the tranny or the input seal on the t-case was leaking, right?

Jetnoise400

There may be a gasket in there, but I can't say as I remember now. Have to look at the TM to be sure. But I think you're right, if it's leaking there, you've likely got seal issues elsewhere. But again, I'd need to look at the TM to be sure... been working on my Mutt too long and have misplaced some of my GM knowledge. :oops:

chicklin

Jetnoise400 said:
There may be a gasket in there, but I can't say as I remember now. Have to look at the TM to be sure. But I think you're right, if it's leaking there, you've likely got seal issues elsewhere. But again, I'd need to look at the TM to be sure... been working on my Mutt too long and have misplaced some of my GM knowledge. :oops:
I looked in the -10, -20 and -34 and couldn't really find any tranny removal or seal replacement instructions. Maybe I'm missing something, but it wasn't obvious. I suppose a Chilton's would be just as good.

Jetnoise400

The -34P shows a gasket (or seal) between the trans and the adapter, and a gasket between the xfer case and the adapter. I don't find the removal instructions in the TMs that I have either. Chilton's will be similar, if not the same.

chicklin

Okay, I've just about got the whole deal dropped out, but I ran into one snag. How do you remove the torque converter/flywheel bolts? Every time I crank on them, the engine turns over. Is there an easy way to block the motor to keep it from turning? I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I can't think of anything right now...tired.

Otherwise, everything's going smooth. I rented a nice tranny jack and I'm looking forward to using it.

chicklin

Okay, I got everything pulled out, replaced the front seal (and rear tc output seal), put everything back together, new fluids and......no go. It feels like it's not shifting at all when I move through the positions on the column. I can't tell if the tranny is not shifting or if the t-case is never engaged. One thing I noticed while playing around with it is that if you put the tranny into gear and then try to shift the t-case from neutral into either 4H or 4L, it grinds, which tells me that the tranny is engaged, otherwise there would be nothing turning in there to grind, right? Other than that little experiement, I can't get the tranny to do anything? According to the PO, the tranny would shift when it had fluid in it before the front seal leaked everything out. Everything looked pretty good when I pulled it apart, the fluid was bright red and there were very few shavings in the pan. Any ideas?

beaubeau

One mistake made with these trans if you are not familiar, is they do not get the Splines in to the second set. Are you sure you got your Toueque converter all the way in to the second splines? I can't think of anything else could be of problem. Be sure Transfer case is completely into gear. Good luck, Phil

chicklin

beaubeau said:
One mistake made with these trans if you are not familiar, is they do not get the Splines in to the second set. Are you sure you got your Toueque converter all the way in to the second splines? I can't think of anything else could be of problem. Be sure Transfer case is completely into gear. Good luck, Phil
How would I know if I got it back on correctly (other than the obvious "if it works")? I just put it back on the same way it came off. I spun the torque converter several times by hand and I could hear the pump working, at least that's what it sounded like. Everything lined back up correctly and it can't slide in any further back as it's bolted to the flywheel.

That fact that I'm getting friction when I try to shift the t-case from N to 4H or 4L when the tranny is in gear would seem to indicate that the tranny is spinning the input side of the t-case, right? When I put it in N or P, I can shift the t-case everywhere, no problem.

Is it possible that I need to let it sit and run and get hot? It seems that maybe since it was sitting so long without shifting (and without fluid) that maybe letting the ATF get warm and pump through several times might help.

I really don't want to have to get back under there :(

chicklin

CCATLETT1984 said:
sound like that trans is done.

If you put the tcase into gear first, then the trans does the engine soung like its loading up (rpms drop)
Nope, no change whatsoever. If the tranny was shot you would think you might still get some kind of noticeable change when you shift, but maybe not.

Westech

CPL
I hope you refilled the TQ converter before you reinstalled it. Other wise it wont pump fluid you have to "prime" them, they wont pump air.

If you did not line up the splines and make sure it was locked in you could be out of spline, BUT then there would not be enough room to bolt up the bell housing due to the TQ converter sticking out past the flange. And here is something I have seen done in the past, not bolting the TQ converter to the fly wheel.

chicklin

Westech said:
I hope you refilled the TQ converter before you reinstalled it. Other wise it wont pump fluid you have to "prime" them, they wont pump air.

If you did not line up the splines and make sure it was locked in you could be out of spline, BUT then there would not be enough room to bolt up the bell housing due to the TQ converter sticking out past the flange. And here is something I have seen done in the past, not bolting the TQ converter to the fly wheel.
Oh crap, no. I didn't know you had to fill it up. I'm guessing the only way to do this is to take it all apart again? It still had some fluid in it, but a bunch came out when I pulled it apart. How full does it need to be?

chicklin

Okay, I've done some more reading. It looks like the tranny pump should fill the torque converter on it's own. I know there is fluid in the TC already, I just don't know how much. I'm going to try and start it up and get it warm and start adding fluid up to the fill line and see what happens. I had put in 4 qts. and checked it cold, but I haven't checked it warm since then, so maybe I'm still just low on fluid.

Westech

CPL
COULD BE... START IT AND RECHECK THE FLUID. COULD JUST BE LOW. (SORRY CAPS DARN DOG) if the TQ is out of fluid the pump will have a really hard time even moving because the fluid in the converter is what makes it move. No fluid= no move= no turn pump.