• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shaft question

Garandfan

Hello everyone, been a while since I've been on. I recently acquired some spare parts including a transmission because my buddy sold his truck. After taking the top off, I noticed the front part of the shaft, outside the bell housing has play. On the inside of the transmission, the gear closest to the bell housing also has play and I can see the bearing housing wiggle. Is this normal or is the shaft cracked into 2 pieces? Also, I plan on replacing the synchros, whether it's done on this transmission (provided that's it good) or the one in the truck. Is this a tough job to do?

Thanks for your help guys, sorry I haven't been around in while.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The input-shaft bearing retainer could be loose(bolts).

Garandfan

Thank you for the help guys... As to second part of my post, is there anything special or complicated about changing out the synchros or should I take it to a truck shop?

DieselBob

If you have a decent set of tools and know which end of the screwdriver to hold you shouldn't have any problem. They are just a synchronized manual transmission with ever so slightly larger parts than a pickup transmission. Download TM9-2520-246-34-1. It covers the disassembly and reassembly of the transmission and transfer case.

Garandfan

Thanks DieselBob. That's reassuring. My main concern was if anything was press fitted. I've learned that just because something looks straight forward, may not be the case-open something up and voodoo flies out. And thank you for the TM numbers.

DieselBob

I believe that there are one or two pieces that might need pressed but any local shop can do it quick and cheap and no reason to pay shop labor rates to pull it apart. Also a good reason to add to the tool collection if finances permit. I had to pull the engine in my pickup to replace the piston cooling jets and wouldn't you know it I would need a engine crane, :!: oh darn. :D
cameraPics 059.jpgcameraPics 054.jpg

Also don't forget that a deuce frame and a bottle jack can make a decent press in a pinch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks