• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Shift Lever Mod

CurryRA

So, given the fact that I don't have a right arm equal in length to that of a full grown gorilla, I decided to modify the transmission shift lever on my M35A2.

With the original bends in place, I was having to lean over to get the truck transmission shifted up into 5th gear. I've modified several transmission levers from old Chevrolet transmissions (SM420) with good success. I've been driving one of these trucks for several years now and I don't believe that this significantly weakens the shift lever if done correctly.

This is certainly not a technical mod in any way and anyone with a handheld torch should be able to do it. I removed the shifter from the tranmission by unbolting the clamp bolt at the bottom. I also unthreaded the shift knob from the shift lever itself. Since the knob was a little sticky, I covered it with a rag and used a large set of channel locks to remove it. The knob came off without much resistance and the rag prevents the channel locks from tearing it up. Since I wanted to bring the shift knob closer toward the driver, I decided to heat and bend the rod at the second bend closest to the shift knob. I used a torch setup and rosebud and bent the lever when it was red hot. In total, I probably moved the shift knob 2-3" or so to the left. Let the lever AIR COOL.

Once it was bolted back in the truck, I checked to make sure I hadn't brought it too far over so as to interfere with the steering wheel in 1st/Rev gear. That's about all there was too it. I can now sit comfortably and shift through every transmission gear without having to lean over for 5th. As dumb as it sounds, it does make the truck a bit easier to drive ;-)

Attachments

OD_Coyote

So, given the fact that I don't have a right arm equal in length to that of a full grown gorilla, I decided to modify the transmission shift lever on my M35A2.
I resemble that remark, heck I can reach the tool box latch while sitting in the drivers seat. :-D
Nice mod by-the-way.

wsucougarx

Hey Ross, I'm not going to recognize that truck with all these mods. Any other projects you got planned besides the airshift transfer? Any plans for new paint?

CurryRA

Well......I had the truck out in the snow the other day and it turns out that the sprague transfer is not putting any torque out to the front wheels. Poor, poor me ;-)

I went into the TM and found the adjustment procedures for the sprague and I'm hoping that will get it working again. I'm really not too worried about it but I have no intention of putting any money into the Sprague transfer case such as replacing the forward/rear sprague units found on the case. Any luck/leads on an affordable airshift setup? I'd much rather put my money and time into that.

As for paint, I've thought about it and that's probably going to be on the backburner for awhile. Yes, it's a bit ugly but it's doing it's job fairly well protecting the truck. Mostly likely becaue the paint's nearly 1/16" thick :-D

Besides the little deal with the sprague, I'd like to figure out why it runs so darn cold (barely 160 degrees) so I've got a new themostat on order for it. I'm assuming I'm going to have to make some sort of cold front for and possibly install a 24V electric fan which will only operate themostatically when the engine is up to temp. Besides that, I've also got a new windshield wiper on order for the passenger side and I'll be posting up a mod about using 12V L.E.D's (5mm) as backlighting for the vehicle gauges. I'm guessing that will turn out fairly neat ;-) In addition to that I've got a coolant filter install planned which will provide the mount for the coolant filter and provisions for an in cab, engine coolant heater. I'm also in the planning stages for a quick disconnect tow hitch for it. So, I'm staying busy to say the least.

How is your new toy treating you?

wsucougarx

Well, I haven't done much with her just yet. I guess I'm just not too ambitious just yet. Just drove her home and parked her so far. I've got a bad cell in one of the batteries. I bought some Costco batteries but as soon as I got them home I changed my mind. I'm going to take them back and get two Optima batteries and get a mod tray ordered from OD Iron. I've thought about the spin on oil filters, coolant filters, battery disconnect (for security reasons), in cab brake fluid reservoir, and the remote air tank valves. I guess I'm waiting for some warmth first. My truck is parked along the shaded portion of the house. The sides of the truck still have 2 ft of snow. I'd have to break out the shovel to move her out. Oh, definately going to get a windshield washer put on her also. The drive home got pretty bad w/big rigs spraying muddy water up onto the windshield. wipers just smeared everything. I noticed the 160 degrees when i was bringing her home from Oregon. I haven't called the guy about parts just yet. Trying to save up some cash before hitting him up. Need to find a few parts as well. I'm waiting for the SF97 to come in so I can get her on the road though.

CurryRA

That's about right, too many projects and not enough free cash. Gotta love that mortgage payment. :razz: Shoot me some pics when you start tearing into it and thanks in advance for trying to find me some parts!

By the way, if anyone has an airshift transfer unit (which works) I'm in the market and I'll come pick it up/take it out of the truck if the distance is reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks