• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shift points very high RPM's-86 m1009

86NavyT

The TH400 tranny in my 86 m1008 shifts at very high RPM's from gear 1st-3rd

it was fine before it just started out of the blue. Sometime when I first start it seems like it shifts almost normal. But most of the time it has to be revved up pretty high befor it will shift. I've searched some and can across vacuum line problems but I couldn't find any broken under the truck (only saw metal lines no soft lines) I can only aaccess this site through my cell phone so searching is quite difficult on this little 2x3.5" screen. Anyone experience something similar to this? Thanks so much for reading this and any input you have!

MarcusOReallyus

What Rick said. Rubber lines. Under $10 bucks to replace them all, and the chances are really high that that's all you need. Do that first, then get back to us if you still have a problem.

stationjj

I had the same issue. I agree with above, check your lines first.
After my vacuum lines checked out. It turn out my problem was the vacuum regulator value.
A vacuum regulator value can be purchased on Amazon.

stationjj

M1008BOV

I'm replacing my old dry rotted lines today as well. Couldn't find this vacuum piece at my local parts store. Any idea's what it's called and where to get one?

IMG_20150805_111951493.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

Don't need it. Just put Top line to Transmission modulator and bottom line to the vacuum source. If you really think you have to have it I will sell you one. But it is not needed.

M1008BOV

I wondered if there was a reason for that special connection and why I couldn't just direct connect the two individually?

M1008BOV

Ok, it wasn't shifting good still, so I removed that piece and just went direct. FYI, the line from the vacuum actuator goes to the bottom, the short one that connects to the hard line goes on top. Shifts good now.