• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shift stick knob

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'm JUST ODD ENOUGH to swap out my transmission shift stick knob. I have one picked out with an eight ball as the knob. I've gone with the eight ball theme previously on my Harley.

I've read three TM's and have NOT found how to remove the knob from the stick. I HAVE found how to remove the trans shift stick from the trans case.

So, if anyone out there can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

jim

ida34

Any knob can be removed with the proper application of a blue wrench or an appropriate circular or reciprocating cutting instrument.

I would guess that you could take a rag and put it over the knob then use a pipe wrench to unscrew it. The rag is so you don't mess up the knob. I don't know for sure that it unscrews but on older equipment and vehicles it is the only way I have seen to attach them. Newer models are just press fitted on a splined end. I don't know which way is off but I see no reason to have left handed threads in this area. There may be some locktight so it may take some effort to get it removed.

mangus580

I would heat the knob up with the torch, and use vise grips to hold the shifter shaft, while turning the knob with a pipe wrench. I wouldn't cut the knob with the torch, because you might damage the threads on the shifter.

ida34

I was kidding about the torch. Cutting with a cutoff wheel is a much better option. You could then turn down the shaft and thread it. I still think you can get it off with enough leverage. Do let us know how it turns out. It may be easier to just stick in an automatic.

Boatcarpenter

Purple Camo, eight ball shift knob, dice hanging from the wiper motor, coon tails from the mirrors, fender skirts, continental kit off the bumperettes, you and Cal-Deuce can go cruising the strip at night!!!!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, for $22 Saturn Surplus has a new one. The one they SHOW has a knob already on it. :)

But I've bought lots of things from Saturn that you have to purchase each piece individually. HOPEFULLY I can get just the stick shift without the knob. Then just spin the knob I have on. If not, return that knob and try another eight ball knob. I've gotta figure a way to transform the bridge plate into an eight ball. I know, I know, black paint, white paint, black paint...

Does ANYONE have a spare bridge plate I can 'screw up'?

And don't KNOCK my fuzzy dice. I haven't hung them yet, but I DO have them. ONE WHITE, ONE BLACK. Just like they used to hang them back in the fifties and early sixties. And you hang them over the interior mirror, not the windshield wiper motors. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

OH, WAIT, my deuce is a '63! So it's from 'back in the day'. Same with eight ball shift knobs and valve stem covers. Not too keen on the racoon tail. BUT a skunks tail WOULD look wicked hanging off one of the antenna's if I ever get them installed.

And if I can ever get that spare set of fender light guards from DR, I've got a pair of military 5" spots I'm mounting on the fenders. So she'll have plenty of light to see far, far away.

devilman96

Hummm... I thinkin there is a loose nut between the seat & steering wheel on that there Deuce!!! rofl

I dont know how to get it off but box er up and mail er to me with your nut ball oops i meant 8 ball and I'll thread and return it.

FSBruva

My shift knob is always coming unscrewed while I am driving. I have to constantly keep tightening it so that I don't end up putting the knob in second, but leave the stick in first!

Matt

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have an old pineappe grenade body (inert of course) that I had on my bob deuce.

To keep a knob from loosening put a backing nut under the knob and tighten it up....kept the grenade from vibrating off and rolling around the floor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks